Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

@Tommy77 wrote:

Hi Jon,

all you need to know is described in my initial posting:

• new Acer notebook with 8.0 preinstalled
  • 8.1 installed from Windows store
  • started the install file OJ_AIO_4500_G510g-m_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe
  • stopped working after extraction

It's irrelevant that the printer in question is a Officejet 4500 since the installation didn't come to the point to notice this. I suppose that a conflict between the installation and some Windows service happens but I expect HP to determine which one. I'm not ready to deactivate all services preventively.

br

Thomas

Thanks for the quick reply.

Was the printer installed and working before you upgraded to 8.1?

How was the printer connected to the PC (USB or Network)?

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I have also found a document that might help with fixing these windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade issues.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03955262

Good luck

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

the printer has been installed successfully on different computers running under XP, Win 7 and Win 8.0 64 bit, always via Network. For Win 8.0 I used the exact same file as now.

HP Recommended

@Tommy77 wrote:

the printer has been installed successfully on different computers running under XP, Win 7 and Win 8.0 64 bit, always via Network. For Win 8.0 I used the exact same file as now.

Tommy77,

I am willing to try and help you out with this problem.

Could you try and answers these couple of questions?

• Was the printer installed and working before you upgraded to 8.1?

• How was the printer connected to the PC (USB or Network)?

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
  1. The printer wasn't installed before the upgrade to 8.1.
  2. Printer connects via LAN cable.

The document you sent us discusses an issue after having installed Solution Center successfully. But me and the other collegues participating in this thread do not reach this point. The installation doesn't continue after the extraction step. The CPU resource for the HP setup process remains on about 30% usage but effectively the install hangs.

br

Thomas

HP Recommended

The printer type does not seem to be relevant. I have the same problem with a new ACER which I upgraded  from 8 to 8.1 before trying the full printer install for a C309g. (networked). The installer craps out after extracting the files. There is still a process showing in the task list, but no user interface. My guess is this is a windows 8.1 quirk. If you search this forum you will find other examples. You are not alone! I hope or expect that HP will find a problem and release a new version of the installer.

HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

Here are answers to your questions:

• I am using Windows 8.1 version 64 bits.
  • As I explained in my post, I upgraded from Windows 8 already installed on my computer (ASUS ZenBook) but, when I realized that several programs were no longer working, I re-installed from scratch Windows 8 (recovery from computer), upgraded to Windows 8.1 (Windows Store), installed the application HP Metro from which I downloaded the latest verion of your driver.
  • My Photosmart C310 is connected via WiFi and is perfectly recognized by my computer.

Reagrds

Pascal Garin

HP Recommended

Please find my answers below:

1. What version of Windows 8.1 are you using? Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit
  2. How did you arrive at theis version of Windows 8.1 (Upgrade [CD or Windows Store] or new install or Clean Install)? Upgrade from windows store (from 8.0 to 8.1)
  3. What Printer were you trying to install? Officejet 4500 wireless
  4. What version of the HP Software were you trying to install and how did you get it? (Web download or CD)? OJ_AIO_4500_G510n-z_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe downloaded version
  5. How is the PC connected to your Printer (Network or USB)? I have tried both and without successto any of them

I do hope you can find a sloution fast. I had no difficulties using officejet 4500 when I had windows 8.0

HP Recommended

Everyone,

I have tried to reproduce the problem that you are all having at home with a Photosmart C310a.

I started with a fresh install of Windows 8 and then applied all the patches.  Installed the printer on the PC via a network connection.  I then let the store upgrade install and installed windows 8.1.  When it was finished I redownloaded the software from the HP web site and the software attempted to install fine.

I am unable to reproduce the problem you are having, a couple of my collegues have also tried and were unsuccessful.

I am looking for people who are havin gthis problem to contact me so I can tell them how to generate Installation logs so we can try and work out what is going wrong.

Thanks

JonW

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi JonW

I face the same problem with officejet 4500 wireless.

Please advise how I can produce a log.

Rgds Birte

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.