Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 5L
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Until two days ago, my Dell PC was working with Windows 7. I had a HP Laserjet 5L installed which worked faultlessly (probably registered as a HP 6L  PS Class Driver). Yesterday I brought home another Dell PC from my workplace, which has switched to Windows 10.

I attached the printer to it by a usb connection, and when I asked for a print it started printing a technical message and the to issue blank pages endlesssly. I de-installed it and tried to install it (as a HP Laserjet 6L, since the 5L was not an option on the HP list). Same thing happened.

What can I do about this if anything?

Can the printer be connected and work with a macbook pro pc?

Regards

Hans 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I actually found that Windows 10, 64 bits, supported the HP Laserjet 5L. This was actually shown in an earlier entry at this forum, cf. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04675396

I  needed to chose 'Add printer' ('Install the printer driver'). HP Laserjet 5L was not on the list of printers given there, but clicking on 'Windows update' provided an extended list after a few minutes on which the Laserjet 5L figured. Selecting this option has solved the problem. The Laserjet 5L functions with  Windows 10.

Hans

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

At this time, it looks like there is no driver support for the Laserjet 5L on Windows 10.

Depends on the model, you can check the solutions available on this link.

Hope this works for you.

Though I work for HP, My posts express My opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

You must be using some kind of USB to parallel port dongle on the back of the printer?  

-When the printer is connected- try going into the device manager  and  go to the top of the Device Manager UI and select "View" and "Show hidden devices".  See any exclamation marks/question marks/unkown device entries?

-If so- you can try right clicking on the problem device/component and try "update driver" and see if that helps.

USB to parallel dongles are hard to support in the newer OS platforms.....The OS is trying to match a print driver from either the Class Drivers that are in the OS...or from Windows Update.

If you go go the Windows Update catalog  https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=hp%20laserjet%205l

There are some updates for the HP LaserJet 5L that are applicable for Win 8/8.1/later OS platforms.  You may want to try making sure you have these as well.  Try downloading and see if it fixes your issue.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I actually found that Windows 10, 64 bits, supported the HP Laserjet 5L. This was actually shown in an earlier entry at this forum, cf. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04675396

I  needed to chose 'Add printer' ('Install the printer driver'). HP Laserjet 5L was not on the list of printers given there, but clicking on 'Windows update' provided an extended list after a few minutes on which the Laserjet 5L figured. Selecting this option has solved the problem. The Laserjet 5L functions with  Windows 10.

Hans

HP Recommended

Thank you instructions appear to be easy enough for this over 70 senior to follow.  Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.