Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

every time i try to print to my printer my computer tells me it's offline, even though the wireless light is on.  It normally takes hours to fix, meaning I need to block out hours if I need to print one page.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model – done

Operating System of computer - done

Detailed Problem Description including all network devices (extenders, switches)-

Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless, Wireless Direct? -

Make and model number of router and modem? -

Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns? –

Is the printer plugged directly into the wall outlet?  Do not use any UPS, power strip or surge protector.  Yes this WILL cause the printer to drop offline and print strangely.

Do you think the printer is going to sleep and can’t wake up? -

If wireless, when the problem occurs, what is the status of Blue Wireless light on the printer, on, off or blinking? –

Power off printer and router.  Power on router and wait 3 mins, power on printer.  Does it connect to the router now?  What is the printers IP address?

HP Recommended

sabretooth04 wrote:

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model – done

Detailed Problem Description including all network devices (extenders, switches)-

Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns? –

Is the printer plugged directly into the wall outlet?  Do not use any UPS, power strip or surge protector.  Yes this WILL cause the printer to drop offline and print strangely.

If wireless, when the problem occurs, what is the status of Blue Wireless light on the printer, on, off or blinking? –

Power off printer and router.  Power on router and wait 3 mins, power on printer.  Does it connect to the router now?  What is the printers IP address?

Printer model Officejet Pro 6978 All-in-One

Serial #[Personal Information Removed]

IP address 192.168.0.8

Product # TOF29A

Purchased December 28 2016

I have shut off the printer.  I have shut off the router.  I have re-booted the computer.  Nothing seems to work.  This printer works only when it feels like it. 

HP Recommended

The router is a Motorola, SURFboard; SBG6580

HP Recommended

@jasamina wrote:

@sabretooth04 wrote:

Printer Model – done

IP address 192.168.0.8

Product # TOF29A

I have shut off the printer.  I have shut off the router.  I have re-booted the computer.  Nothing seems to work.  This printer works only when it feels like it. 

The printer is on a wireless connection.  Motorola router - SURFboard - SBG6580

Error states that printer is not connect to computer

There is no blinking light

Printer is plugged into wall outlet

Pringer appears to sleep in just minutes after printing when it decides it is going to print - which is on and off - I never know when it decides to work

Blue wireless light is on

I tried to power off the printer, router and rebooted the computer

Nothing is working

HP Recommended

@jasamina wrote:

@jasamina wrote:

@sabretooth04 wrote:

Printer Model – done

IP address 192.168.0.8

Product # TOF29A

The printer is on a wireless connection.  Motorola router - SURFboard - SBG6580

Error states that printer is not connect to computer

There is no blinking light

Printer is plugged into wall outlet

Pringer appears to sleep in just minutes after printing when it decides it is going to print - which is on and off - I never know when it decides to work

Blue wireless light is on

I tried to power off the printer, router and rebooted the computer

Nothing is working

I said before that the connection is wireless.

I am not sure what you want regarding network devices

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.