Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
officejet pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have been trying to get the printer to print via wireless but now it is saying the feature has been locked by administater i cannot do anything with it help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @yvonnefrance,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you would like to setup your HP Officejet Pro 6830 wirelessly but you are getting an error message saying the 'feature is locked by administrator'.

You should be able to easily fix this by restoring the Network Defaults in the front panel of the OJ 6830:

Setup Menu > Wireless/Network > Restore Network Defaults > Yes

Did this help? If not continue below:

The lockout is really designed for the printers to prevent others from making printer changes that could affect how the printer behaves.  For example, to keep the date and time set to that faxes show an accurate receive time.

Get the printer's IP address by pressing the network icon at the top of the screen.

Enter this IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer.  The printer's status page should load.  If you receive any certificate warnings, choose the option that lets you continue anyway.

Click on Settings and then go to Administrator Settings on the left.  Many of the features of the front panel are controlled here.  Make sure everything is checked except for Control Panel Lock.  Once this is set, click apply.

Power off the printer for at least 1 minute and then power it back on to force the new setting to take effect.

Are you now able to access the wireless features?

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" . If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @yvonnefrance,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you would like to setup your HP Officejet Pro 6830 wirelessly but you are getting an error message saying the 'feature is locked by administrator'.

You should be able to easily fix this by restoring the Network Defaults in the front panel of the OJ 6830:

Setup Menu > Wireless/Network > Restore Network Defaults > Yes

Did this help? If not continue below:

The lockout is really designed for the printers to prevent others from making printer changes that could affect how the printer behaves.  For example, to keep the date and time set to that faxes show an accurate receive time.

Get the printer's IP address by pressing the network icon at the top of the screen.

Enter this IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer.  The printer's status page should load.  If you receive any certificate warnings, choose the option that lets you continue anyway.

Click on Settings and then go to Administrator Settings on the left.  Many of the features of the front panel are controlled here.  Make sure everything is checked except for Control Panel Lock.  Once this is set, click apply.

Power off the printer for at least 1 minute and then power it back on to force the new setting to take effect.

Are you now able to access the wireless features?

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" . If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

many thanks for that solved and working in 5 minutes, afer trying to do it myself over 2 weeks. not computer or printer savy .know were to go if have problems in future before i start messing with things 

HP Recommended

I cannot connect my wireless printer to my laptop.  At first, I could just turn off the printer and turn it back on and it would print what is in the que.  Now that no longer works.  I am getting the message on the front of the printer that it is locked out by the administrator.  I am the administrator.  😞  I tried to reset to factory defaults and it is locked out in that area also.  Please help me!! 

I also saw the information regarding putting the IP address in the search bar.  Nothing that I pulled up made any sense.  Please give me more detailed directions on how to get this fixed.

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

Can you send me the same PM to reset my 8710???

HP Recommended

Will you please send pm on rest for 8710

HP Recommended

This does not help me.  I clicked on Settings once I get into the printer online, but does not give me option of Administration settings.  It wants me to put my username and password in; again and again.  

Marie S. Barnes
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.