Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
m252dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I print a postscript or pdf file directly from windows.

I can copy the files to a usb stick and put that in the printer, and it works.

The printer is connected by wifi.

I could use "copy file.ps to \\server\share", if i knew the \\server\share names.

I know the ip address 192.168.1.9 if that helps.

I would have expected to be able to right click the file and then use "send to" the printer.

For the pdf's I could use acrobat, but I expect that tries to convert them to pcl6 and sometimes fails.

For postscript files I've tried ghostscript, but that loses alot of quality when it converts them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the PostScript and PDF files are of a level which the printer can handle directly (via the PostScript or DirectPDF interpreter, as appropriate), then:

•  You could use the 'lpr' command to send the content of the file(s) direct to the port 515 responder in the printer.
  • To make the 'lpr' command available (e.g. in a Windows command-prompt session), you may have to enable optional Windows features; for Windows 10, this would be Print and Document Services | LPR Port Monitor.

To make this available via the right-click 'SendTo' context menu from Windows File Explorer, etc:

• Set up a folder to hold SendTo scripts.
  • In that folder, set up a .bat file (named, for example, as copy_m252.bat) containing a suitable lpr command; e.g.:

lpr -S 192.168.1.9 -P any %1
  • Set up a shortcut to that file, and add this to the SendTo menu; how to do this is too detailed for me to add it here, but there are plenty of web pages describing how to do it (it may vary depending on the Windows version); for example, here is Microsoft article kb141017
  • Repeat for other destinations.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If the PostScript and PDF files are of a level which the printer can handle directly (via the PostScript or DirectPDF interpreter, as appropriate), then:

•  You could use the 'lpr' command to send the content of the file(s) direct to the port 515 responder in the printer.
  • To make the 'lpr' command available (e.g. in a Windows command-prompt session), you may have to enable optional Windows features; for Windows 10, this would be Print and Document Services | LPR Port Monitor.

To make this available via the right-click 'SendTo' context menu from Windows File Explorer, etc:

• Set up a folder to hold SendTo scripts.
  • In that folder, set up a .bat file (named, for example, as copy_m252.bat) containing a suitable lpr command; e.g.:

lpr -S 192.168.1.9 -P any %1
  • Set up a shortcut to that file, and add this to the SendTo menu; how to do this is too detailed for me to add it here, but there are plenty of web pages describing how to do it (it may vary depending on the Windows version); for example, here is Microsoft article kb141017
  • Repeat for other destinations.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.