Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M1536dnf
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

After printing two pages successfully, I get an error message saying "Install black cartridge or clear jam. Open and Close door". There is no paper jam. The cartridge was working fine. I'm removed and reinsterted several times. I've power off and on the printer hoping to clear the message. I inspected the two pins on the side to ensure they're making contact with the cartridge, assuming they're scanning for the cartridge's presence. No joy. 

Any advice? 

thanks . . . john

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@John_M22

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer and multiple errors appear. Sometimes the printer states to "install black cartridge or clear jam. Open and Close door." I read that you have removed and reinserted the black cartridge several times and the issue still persists. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any hardware changes take place on the printer recently (like a paper jam, cartridge replacement, etc.)?
  • Did any updates happen for the printer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the issue still persists then please perform the steps as described in detail in the below links:

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi. Thanks for the suggestions. To answer your first question . . . a couple of pages printed just fine. With the third page, the error message first came on it looked like it had partially fed two pieces of paper from the input tray rather than one. It was easy to remove the second page - no tearing / tugging required. I then closed closed up the tray / door and tried printing again; with the error message persisting. No firmware download; the printer is connected via ethernet to the same router I had used to print earlier.

I tried the steps in sequence suggested below; staring with resetting the printer. (The printer did not come on automatically; i had to manually push the power button.) Unfortunately, that didn't clear the code or allow me to print.

I then followed ,in sequence, the steps outlined in the two links you sent. I am using a genuine HP printer cartridge (with plenty of toner remaining) and i double checked to ensure the two pins are intact and making contact with the E-label on the cartridge. (Presumably that's there to detect the presence and correct seating of the cartridge.) The metal contact points are clean as well.

There is no evidence I can see that there is any debris / paper / lint / etc. anywhere inside the printer. I even checked to see that with the door open, the pin that actuates the small leaver on the front housing is functioning properly so the printer should detect the door has been closed.  

I don't have a fresh cartridge to replace the existing (which I think is not the issue anyway), so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed next.

thanks . . . john

HP Recommended

@John_M22

You're welcome John. 🙂

If the issue still persists then I suggest you to perform a reset the printer. I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. 

Post the reset of the printer continues to be in an error state then it indicates towards a hardware issue and I suggest you to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the service options.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.