Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laser jet pro m402dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

i had a paper jam yesterday in the printer,i found one stuck in the back so i pulled it out now the tray says it needs paper?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Run a config page from the reports menu on the printer and check the paper settings to make sure that tray 2 is set for letter or any and the type is set for any. It could be the job you are trying to send is looking for a different size or type of paper. If all are correct, the I would think the flag that hangs down to determine paper in the tray has become dislodged somehow.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

First I would remove half the paper from the tray and make sure the backstop on the tray is in the correct position. When you put the tray back in watch the lever on the left side of the tray that moves up and down to give you paper level in the tray. It should move. If it does not that means the tray is not springing up when the tray is inserted. Try to study the tray to see how the mech is supposed to work when the tray is inserted. Another thing you can do is put paper in the manual fold down tray in the front and see if it still asks for paper.

HP Recommended

i put  paper in the manual tray and it prints,i checked the bottom tray to see if the paper level moves up and down it does the springs are moving ok ,

HP Recommended

Run a config page from the reports menu on the printer and check the paper settings to make sure that tray 2 is set for letter or any and the type is set for any. It could be the job you are trying to send is looking for a different size or type of paper. If all are correct, the I would think the flag that hangs down to determine paper in the tray has become dislodged somehow.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.