Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When Printing a "Supplies Status" the black toner section displayed, "A used supply has been installed". It suggested a non genuine cartridge has been installed. The original supplied with the printer is still installed! Not long after the printer was new, the toner message stated the black was very low, this after only a small ammount of printing.

Any suggestions what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @nigkemp

Brand new printers will get you introductory toners that wont last long 

I guess that Im a bit confused and Im not to sure if you have 2 different toners or only one 

If it is only the one that came with the printer then replace for a brand new HP one and see what the supplies says with the new toner 

If you do have 2 toners (the one that came with the printer and another one new one) then print a supplies status page with the other one lets call it the new . Every supplies status page will give you the install day on the toner you want to make sure that it matches the day that you install the toner for the first time 

This is a way to tell if you got an original supply or the company that you got it from could be refilling toners 

Each toner has a chip on it that will send the information to the unit and thats how the supplies status page will get the information from 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I would get a new HP cartridge to have on hand. Some printers come with "starter" cartridges. You can run it until the print quality is unacceptable, and then replace it.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Hello @nigkemp

Brand new printers will get you introductory toners that wont last long 

I guess that Im a bit confused and Im not to sure if you have 2 different toners or only one 

If it is only the one that came with the printer then replace for a brand new HP one and see what the supplies says with the new toner 

If you do have 2 toners (the one that came with the printer and another one new one) then print a supplies status page with the other one lets call it the new . Every supplies status page will give you the install day on the toner you want to make sure that it matches the day that you install the toner for the first time 

This is a way to tell if you got an original supply or the company that you got it from could be refilling toners 

Each toner has a chip on it that will send the information to the unit and thats how the supplies status page will get the information from 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended

Thank you for this. I have since spoken to HP, updated the firmware and talked at some length. It is an uncommon problem apparently. It is curious that the other 3 toners are still +50%. I have installed a new black cartridge and that seems ok.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.