Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

"Waiting for Scanner"  Sounds like a title to a horror movie. I have the same problem - never again.

I have work to do and don't have time for this nonsense. My wife has Brother works perfectly.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi torontoscanner,

I understand you have an HP printer that keeps telling you "Waiting for Scanner" when trying to scan with 10.9. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening, but I will do my best to assist you.

Just so I can have a deeper look into this, can you please tell me which model of HP printer you're working with? Once I know which printer you have, I can check a few things and hopefully help you get this resolved.

Hope to hear back from you soon, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I'm not torontoscanner, but I'll reply since I'm having the same problem.  I am using an HP Officejet J4580 All-in-One, with OS 10.9.2.  I get the interminable "waiting for scanner" message when I try scanning, whether it is from the Print/scan utility, Preview, or Image Capture.  If I try to scan directly from the 4580, it says "No scan options; refer to device documentation to troubleshoot." I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Print/scan utility, with no success.  This starting happening in the middle of a long string of scans; all of a sudden it just stopped working...

HP Recommended

Hi bethwicklund,

I understand you're getting the same waiting for scanner message on your Officejet J4580. I'm sorry to hear that but I believe I can assist you.

There is no HP software for the J4580 for the Mac OS X 10.9 operating system, so you will not be able to scan from the front panel of the printer as it requires the HP software to function with the computer. For the computer side of things, it could be the driver being installed that's causing the issue.

I would recommend that you follow this Uninstalling the Printer Software document to get the HP software removed, and then reset your printing system followed by a verify/repair of your disk permissions. Once that is done, please reboot your Mac and please follow this OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac document to install the driver via the Apple Updates. Once that is completed, you should be able to scan following this How to Scan: OS X v10.9 document.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and it is extremely annoying. I am not able to use the scanner at all. Everytime I try I have "waiting for scanner" I have a mac. running on ios 19.2. my printer is an HP LASERJETPRO 400 COLOR MPF M475dw

HP Recommended

Hi ncclf,

I understand you seem to be having a similar issue with your LaserJet Pro 400 M475dw. However, the printer you have is considered a commercial unit, which doesn't mean anything other then I actually have no training on your printer.

I would suggest, to get assistance from someone familiar with your product, that you  post your issue in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

Thanks for choosing HP, have a great day 🙂

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue with a non-HP Scanner every time it went to sleep.  Resetting wireless, and Image capture didn't help.  Restarting the whole computer did.. but noone wants to hear turn it off and on again...

This is what I did:  

packetrider@packetrider:~$ ps -A | grep Image

346 ??         3:21.60 /System/Library/Image Capture/Support/Image Capture Extension.app/Contents/MacOS/Image Capture Extension

I guessed it was hung.. so:

packetrider@packetrider:~$ kill 346

Then re-launch image capture or whatever you were using.

Worked for me.

HP Recommended

This worked for me:  Simply close all of your programs and turn off your computer and your printer.  Wait half a minute and turn on the computer.  Then turn on your printer.  Then scan as normal.  Worked for me - without having to redo all the horrendous deletion and reloading of new printer drivers, etc.!  Hooray!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.