Question

Top Student
JJF777
Message 1 of 16 (498 Views)

10.9 Mavericks can't print on 7310

I cannot print on a 7310 All In One using MacBookPro running  10.9. I updated drivers from http://support.apple.com/kb/dl907 and installed patch  Update Released: 2013-12-03. Driver is shown as HP Inkjet 6 Driver 2.0.3. Mac Software Update is up to date. 7310 added in Print preference in normal manner.  The document is shown in queue and printer responds as if going to print, but does not. Error message in  print queue says "unable to send data to printer". A few time there was a few lines printed at top of page, with rest of page blank. Please advise. Thank you.

JJF

Top Student
JJF777
Message 2 of 16 (487 Views)

Re: 10.9 Mavericks can't print on 7310

Additional information:

Test page from Print Utility times out with "transfering data", but after 5 minutes printed page with alphabet on top line in all caps, but rest of page blank. Force quit Utility after 10 minutes of no further action.

Utility shows ink levels, etc. Will not execute Align or Clear Print Cartriges. Error: Finish previous job first, but none is in queue

Printer works fine from Air running 10.7.

Hope this provides help to the experts.

JJF

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 3 of 16 (441 Views)

Hi JJF777,

I understand that you are having an issue with installing the printer on Mavericks and getting it to print.

I will try my best to help  you resolve this issue.

Try power cycling your network:

How to power cycle network
Follow these steps to reset your HP printer, your wireless router, and your computer.
1.Press the Power button on the HP printer to turn it off.
2.Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the HP printer.
3.Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
4.Turn off the computer.
5.Wait 30 seconds.
6.Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
7.Wait 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready.
8.Turn the computer back on.
9.Wait for the computer to reload.
10.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the HP printer.
11.Turn the printer back on.

In this document for OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac are the steps for connecting the printer.

I hope this information helps, let me know.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
JJF777
Message 4 of 16 (427 Views)

Thank you for writing. I am using a USB connetion, i.e., everything i wrote applies to the USB connection configuration. Do you have recommendations for my situation? 

JJF

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 5 of 16 (421 Views)

Hi JJF777,

I am sorry that did not help. Try Resetting the printer, follow these instructions. When resetting the printer be sure to unplug the USB cable as well. Then try to print again.

If this does not resolve the issue, then I recommend resetting the print system.

LINK: Macintosh: Resetting the Printing System in Mac OS X

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
JJF777
Message 6 of 16 (397 Views)

Thank you for writing again. The printer reset resulted in the same behavior, in that I got the follow error message: "Communication Failure: The computer is no longer able to communicate with your printer. Turn the printer off, check your printer connections and check for printer errors, and turn the printer back on". I then reset the Mac print system. There were no specific instructions for 10.9, so I followed those for 10.8. With the printer attached via USB, I added the 7310. On printing the printer responded and started to engage the paper, but stopped with the error "unable to send data to printer". The printer display showed "printing" with the printing video, but nothing prints. After several minutes the (one line) document did finally print. I could not, however, replicate this behavior. On further attempts, the print dialog message is "unable to send data" or just "ready to print" with hanging of the job dialog window. The prater works perfectly with an Air running 10.7. Please provide additional recommendations and I will execute them. Thank you. JJF
HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 7 of 16 (371 Views)

Hi JJF77,

Sorry that did not help. I suggest  that you verify / repair disk permissions and re-check for apple updates.

Link: Verifying/ Repairing Disk Permissions in Mac/ OS X

Link: Apple Updates

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you,

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
JJF777
Message 8 of 16 (364 Views)

I repaired the Permissions, then Verified, without errors. There was no effect on the printing; still starts with a page feed and hangs in "printing mode". I then reset the printer and reset the Print System, as before, and re-verified the Permissions. No change, however. Please advise further, if possible. Thank you. JJF
HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 9 of 16 (358 Views)

Hi JJF,

I suggest that you do a Scrub of the operating system, Reset the Printing System, Repair Disk Permissions and Check for Apple Updates.

Scrub

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • Hold down Control, Option and Command
  • While holding the three buttons down, Click uninstall.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences .
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password .
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions (I know many of you have done this but because we have now done a scrub it is good measure to ensure non of your permissions differ)
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer .
  6. Restart the computer.
Check for Apple Updates
  1. Connect the USB cable if it is not already connected
  2. Click on the Apple icon
  3. Select Software Updates.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Leave the printer on and unplug, reconnect after 1 minute.

Let me know if this helped or if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
JJF777
Message 10 of 16 (337 Views)

Thank you for writing. I feel we may be getting close to a solution. There is no HP folder in my application folder. In library/printers there is a single file: HP Officejet 7300 series, but nothing else. The URL http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02440673 describes the procedure for deleting HP softward in 10.9, but I have not yet done this, pending your feedback. I do have a big printing job this afternoon if you could give me additional feedback as soon as possible. Thank you.

JJF

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation