Question

Top Student
ajk37
Message 1 of 14 (861 Views)

8600 OfficeJet Pro not printing or scanning wirelessly; I have Mac OS 10.6.8.

More concerned about the printing.  Word doc appears on print menu; says it's printing but nothing happens.  Once it said it printed when in fact it had not.  I have not put the  file on "hold" or on "pause".  I uninstalled all HP apps and reinstalled from the disk.   Ran the Network Test Results and everything passed.  Went through all the troubleshooting steps, in the correct order.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (829 Views)

Re: 8600 OfficeJet Pro not printing or scanning wirelessly; I have Mac OS 10.6.8.

If you are using Snow Leopard or Lion and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6/10.7 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard or Lion and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!

Finally, download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajk37
Message 3 of 14 (820 Views)

Re: 8600 OfficeJet Pro not printing or scanning wirelessly; I have Mac OS 10.6.8.

It printed and scanned for a while, then stopped again.  Today I replaced the color cartridges (still plenty of black), went through your procedure (thank you) but to no effect (at least for printing; I haven't tried scanning again yet). It says it's connected, printing 1 job, and then it says idle, and then it says under status just a dash with the name of the document under "name".  I'm in tears of frustration with this.  This machine is only 9 months old; it is not heavily used and has never been abused.  I can't be buying a printer every 9 months.

I wouldn't even mind if only the wireless stopped working and it would print plugged in. But that doesn't work either.

What kind of warranty do I have on this thing??? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (805 Views)

What router are you using?

In the mean time, download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajk37
Message 5 of 14 (799 Views)

Hi.  I downloaded and installed the package, but did not get any result from it.  The queue is simply stuck saying "connected to printer..." and "printing" under status but nothing happens.  The blue light on the machine is steadily blue.  

My router is a Linksys Wireless G 2.4.  Not aware of any other network problems.  And if the the router is the problem, then shouldn't the printer work when it's wired to the computer?  I get the same result..just stuck in the queue.  Thanks once again.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 14 (786 Views)

Reset the printing system again:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the Use pulldown, select the printer (not AirPrin).  Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajk37
Message 7 of 14 (781 Views)

Sorry but after the re-set and selecting the + sign and "default", everything in that box is greyed out so I'm not able to look anywhere for the printer name.  Tried typing its name in the search bar but nothing happens.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 14 (773 Views)

There is something very strange, here.  To answer an earlier question you had - the printer should have a 1 year warranty in the USA.

Let's do some resets.  First, with the printer on (but not making any noise - in an idle state), pull the power plug out of the back for 30 seconds.  Re-insert and turn back on.

Now, reset the network settings: 

1. Touch  (right arrow), touch Network, touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

2. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, select Reports, and then select Print Network Configuration Page to print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Re-run the Wireless Setup Wizard to re-connect to your router.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ajk37
Message 9 of 14 (763 Views)

Hi, sorry again.  I did all of that.  The network configuration report seems fine as well as the wireless network test.  Unless you have any more ideas we can close this case.  The printer box just says "connected to printer" with a status of "printing".  The preferences box shows the printer with a yellow dot and "in use, last used".

I was able to go to the store where I bought it yesterday and confirmed with their printed-out receipt that it's under warranty, so I guess I'll work the problem from that angle.  Time for me to give you a Kudo?  I have very much appreciated your efforts and responsiveness.

Top Student
revman
Message 10 of 14 (627 Views)

HI, I also had this same issue and finally worked out a solution.

Just to summarise: I had two Macbooks 10.7.4, iPhone, iPad, airport express and netgear evg2000 router. They all worked wirelessly one minute then stopped. I could wirelessly connect to the printer, print test pages, view the queue, view supplies but any print would appear in the queue as 100% complete or 1% or 12% but never actually print out.

I logged in to the embedded web server (ews) on the printer, went to network, advanced settings-bonjour and changed the Bonjour Highest Priority Service to '9100 printing' instead of 'LDP'. I then deleted the printer from the print function in system prefs, re added it and it worked. I had to turn the iPhone and iPad off and on and they worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation