Question

Top Student
solutionseeker
Message 1 of 10 (372 Views)

8600 Plus, Mac OS 10.8.5 scanner won't connect to wireless

[ Edited ]

I have an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus connected wirelessly (Apple Time Capsule) to my Mac running OS 10.8.5.

The wireless connection light indicates that it is connected, and I can print wirelessly from the Mac with no problem. The copy function works fine.

However, the Scan  function will not connect to anything. When I try Scan To Computer, and follow the instructions (go to HP Utility and Enable Scan to Computer) I get "Communication Error - Unable to communicate with device. Check cables and connection settings. If the problem persists, try restarting computer and the HP device."

I looked at the connection settings, and have no idea what might need to be changed. Restarting achieved nothing. What should I do next?

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 2 of 10 (338 Views)

Re: 8600 Plus, Mac OS 10.8.5 scanner won't connect to wireless

Hi solutionseeker, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the HP Forum. 

Please be aware that scanning from front panel of the Officejet to the Mac only works if the HP Scan application is installed on the Mac and scanning from it works fine. So please test scanning from HP Scan first - does this work?

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
Top Student
solutionseeker
Message 3 of 10 (336 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had read that HP Utility replaced a few older applications, including HP Scan. Evidently not.

Anyway, HP Scan is installed, and it works, but scanning from the front panel does not.

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 4 of 10 (333 Views)

Ok, thanks for checking. 

So if you open HP Utility and go to Scan Settings - Scan to Computer. Is this feature enabled?  Please also check for the computer name in System Preferences/Sharing - if that was not set the printer can not find your Mac. 

Best regards,
Mandy

Top Student
solutionseeker
Message 5 of 10 (331 Views)

As stated in the original question, when I go to HP Utility and enable Scan to Computer, I get the communication error message.

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 6 of 10 (328 Views)

So did you check for the computer name in System Preferences - Sharing?

If that is available, I recommend to run repair disk permissions via Disk Utility, then restart the Mac and try again. 

If it still fails, go to the following Apple website and download and install the HP Printer Driver Update 2.16.1 from there: HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X    You might have installed it via Apple Software Update already, though I recommend you install the package from the Apple Website still. Restart the Mac then and verify if scanning to computer now can be enabled. 

Best regards,
Mandy

Top Student
solutionseeker
Message 7 of 10 (327 Views)

I finally found a similar question, although from someone using a USB connection.

http:/http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Scanner-problems/td-p/3865234

The suggestion was to download drivers from this address:

http:/http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107215-2&cc=us&dlc=en...

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the most current drivers recently, but I guess it can't hurt to try.

Teacher
TeK_AcE
Message 8 of 10 (323 Views)

Hi,

when reinstalling the software make sure that full feature .. or all options in the package are manually checked

Uninstall the printer software first using HP Uninstaller (NOTE: Use scrubber as last option).
Download the latest drivers from HP Website and install the software.
Download and install the HP Printer drivers (2.16.1 version) from Apple website

Note: Make sure that USB cable is connected to computer while installing the printer driver update and disconnect the cable if cx wish to setup the unit over network.

Turn off and turn on the unit once.
Now go to HP Utility->Scan to Computer-> Enable scan to computer option (If it is not enabled)

Now try scanning from front panel of the unit and see if it works.
then you can add the printer as wireless.. or convert to wireless.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
solutionseeker
Message 9 of 10 (321 Views)

The computer name is there, and Printer Sharing is on, but it's impossible to set Scanner Sharing to on.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 10 of 10 (313 Views)

Hi solutionseeker,

I would like to help you be able to scan from your 8600 to your Mac 10.8.5.  I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Please use the instructions below to complete a more comprehensive uninstall than the basic uninstall.

Scrub/ Uninstall

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • * Only do this step if you do not have any other HP Printers.  Hold down Control, Option and Command, While holding the three buttons down,
  • Click uninstall.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OKto confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-clickDisk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer.

Restart the printer. Now you can download and install the printer software and install it. >  Officejet-Pro-8600_v12.23.0.dmg

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver, not the AirPrint driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can the printer driver 

Please let me know if you can scan now. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation