Airport Extreme, usb connection, printer shows offline (3267 Views)
Top Student
bdchaffins
Message 1 of 17 (3,267 Views)
Accepted Solution

Airport Extreme, usb connection, printer shows offline

I have 2 iMac computers using the Airport Extreme to connect wirelessly to the internet.  My HP Photosmart C4680 is connected to the Airport Extreme using the USB connection; I had some work done on the house so I had disconnected the printer from the network and now when I reconnect it with no other software changes, etc - it just shows that the printer is offline as soon as I attempt to print anything.  I have reset my Airport Extreme, checked the drivers (the install disc says it is version 12.0 and the website shows 11.0, so I didn't change them) for the printer, Mac Os X ver 10.6 is what I have.  The printer works fine if it is physically connected to the iMac (either one) but will not work when connected to the Airport Extreme.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 17 (3,261 Views)

Re: Airport Extreme, usb connection, printer shows offline

Use Airport Utility (Applications > Utilities) and choose Printers along the top of the window.  Does it list the printer?

Are you plugged directly into the Airport or are you using a USB hub?  Have you restarted the printer while its attached to the Airport?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
bdchaffins
Message 3 of 17 (3,259 Views)

No, the printer isn't listed on that screen, just in the system preferences under printer/fax.  I am plugged directly into the Airport, as stated in the original post.  Yes, I have turned it off and on, unplugged all the connections one at a time and reconnected them to ensure they are fully seated, unplugged the Airport and reset the factory settings and recreated the network.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 17 (3,257 Views)

Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
bdchaffins
Message 5 of 17 (3,255 Views)

I reset this item multiple times; there are 2 printers listed -- one that states the location as the Airport Extreme and one listed as the physical iMac connection.  I have selected the one that shows the Airport Extreme as the location and there is a green light indicating it is idle...however it will still not print and it is not shown when I go into the Airport Extreme utility.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 17 (3,252 Views)

Why do you have 2 printers listed after resetting the printing system?  There should be none, then you add a printer with the '+' sign and it should find the printer on the Airport.

Have you reset the printer by turning it off, unplugging power from the back of it for 30 seconds, then plug in and turn on?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
bdchaffins
Message 7 of 17 (3,250 Views)

When I click the "+" symbol it gives me two options to add a printer -- sorry for not making that clear in my response.  Yes, I have unplugged the printer and reconnected it.  I will try that again now after I remove it again from the printing system page.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 17 (3,248 Views)

Is the printer plugged into both your Mac and the Airport at the same time?  It is odd that it lists two instances of the printer.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
bdchaffins
Message 9 of 17 (3,246 Views)

No, it is not plugged into the machine and the Airport at the same time.  I had needed to use it so I plugged it into the iMac directly then disconnected it after the workmen were finished and tried to reconnect it to the Airport and now I am getting these errors :smileysad:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 17 (3,243 Views)

It must be getting it from a history or something.

I know this sounds weird, but try a different USB cable.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation