Question

Tutor
saxysing
Message 1 of 21 (2,990 Views)
Accepted Solution

Black and White

How do I get my Photosmart Printer to print documents in black and white only using black ink? I can't find any reference or controls to choose between color and B & W. I'm running out of colored ink and my black is still full even though I only print documents. I used to have that choice with my old printers on PC. Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (2,981 Views)

Re: Black and White

What model Photosmart?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
saxysing
Message 3 of 21 (2,976 Views)

Photosmart C7280

Tutor
saxysing
Message 4 of 21 (2,955 Views)

Never mind, I finally figured it out, even though it was well hidden and I never did find it in the instruction manual. It seems like something that basic should be on the main print page and you shouldn't have to go looking for it. In case anyone else out there wasn't born knowing this, here's how it works:

Go to the 3rd drop down menu on the main print page: Click on Paper Type/ Quality: On the Color drop down menu, click on Gray Scale; Click on Color Options; Click on Black Print Cartridge Only. Then Print.

Much more efficient and user friendly then the old method of choosing black or color on the main print page, don't you think?

Student
shirleyforeman
Message 5 of 21 (2,667 Views)

Oh my goodness. You don't know how happy I am that you figured that out! Seriously, I've been trying to work it out since I purchased my PREVIOUS printer!! I can't imagine why they make it so difficult to do. And I've looked at help forums, user manuals, called HP etc. THANK YOU, Shirley Foreman

Tutor
saxysing
Message 6 of 21 (2,661 Views)

You're very welcome. I was hoping someone would benefit from this. :smileyhappy:

Student
Stan13
Message 7 of 21 (2,518 Views)

How do I make a copy from glass or ADF in gray scale, black only cartridge?

Student
danlynch
Message 8 of 21 (2,386 Views)

My menu does not allow me to choose Black Print Cartridge Only, it's grey-ed out and the only choice is High Quality.  Why is this?  Secondly, I cannot choose to default the paper to 81/2 x 11 letter size, it's "stuck" on photo paper and won't allow me to change....why?  HELP!!!

"Go to the 3rd drop down menu on the main print page: Click on Paper Type/ Quality: On the Color drop down menu, click on Gray Scale; Click on Color Options; Click on Black Print Cartridge Only. Then Print."

Tutor
saxysing
Message 9 of 21 (2,375 Views)

[ Edited ]

Stan13 wrote:

How do I make a copy from glass or ADF in gray scale, black only cartridge?

Sorry, I haven't been able to figure that out. There is upgrade driver software available (for a price) from HP for our printer. They supposedly give you a lot more options and capabilities for the printer. I can't guarantee this will help your problem, as I haven't purchased it. So far I am able to do everything I need to with the original driver, though it is pretty basic.

Student
alexanderlooper
Message 10 of 21 (2,349 Views)

I just bought an HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n, and this comment solved my problem, too.  Thanks so much for posting.   

I am surprised that this problem persists.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation