Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My C309A has been connected wireless via time capsule/airport extreme for a year to the network & working find on all mac’s. There was an HP software update to 2.4.1  on 7/1/10 and since then it will not work. I have reset to factory defaults, plus #/3 reboot and it goes through the initialization process but the network setup wizard can’t find the wireless network and the same error message will eventually pop backup on the screen and you can’t do anything unless you power off. It may come back and not have an error code the next time, but it will not find the network either....so you power it off again and the next time the error message pops up. There has never been anything attached to the USB port. I have re- installed the software and still have the same problem. 

Please need so help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Email: [text removed for privacy]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is how to contact HP.

Please remove the serial number from your post (Options > Edit Post).

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

What does it say when you print a Wireless Network Test from the Setup > Network area of the printer's control panel?  Does it have a valid IP address?  Does the wireless radio pass its self-test?

If all looks OK on the printer, have you tried resetting the printing system on each Mac?:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Diagnostics Summary

Wireless on.................Pass

Wireless Working...........FAIL

Network name........ Not Run

Security.............Not Run

Connected..... Not Run

Signal Strength...... Not Run

Other Networks Detected.........No

Wireless Networks Detected............0

Downlink Count..........0

Channel..........Not Run

Configuration Summary

Network Name...........hpsetup

Hardware Address (Mac).............00:25:b3:e9:62:d5

IP Address........Not Applicable

Configuration Source.....Not Applicable

Communication Mode.....Adhoc

Authentication Type.......Open System

Encryption.......None

Since this didn’t look okay I didn’t try resetting the printing system per you second suggestion. Please advise.

HP Recommended

The Wireless Working FAIL is disturbing.  I wonder if your printer's radio has failed.  I think so.

Is it still in warranty?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Here is the info from the warranty check. It was purchased at Best Buy. Can you advise on my best course of action. Thanks for your help. Serial number   Product number CC335A Product line All-in-One Division Product description HP Photosmart Prem Fax AiO Prntr C309a Date of warranty check 06 Jul 2010 Warranty type Service type Start date End date Status Service level Deliverables Base Warranty Wty: HP HW Replacement Support 28 Jul 2009 26 Aug 2010 Active Standard Material Handling, Global Coverage, Std Office Hrs Std Office Days, Standard Parts Logistics, 3rd Cov Day Onsite Shipment, NextAvail TechResource Remote, HP Ships to Customer Site, Customer Delivers to RepairCtr Remote HW Diagnosis & Support

HP Recommended

Here is how to contact HP.

Please remove the serial number from your post (Options > Edit Post).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

HP support had me to do a #/6 reboot and we still had a FAIL on the Wireless Working after running the Wireless Network Report.

It is being replaced under warranty. Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

I have the same EXACT problem.  I forgot about the USB error the other day..  I just shut it down again, after hours of resetting the wireless router etc, and that usb error came back.   I've been on the phone with HP all night. They couldn't figure out anything.  HP sent me to APPLE..  Hello.. Its the printer that cant connect to my network anymore....  This is less than a year old, and according to them after warranty..

Did anyone else have this problem and fixed it?

Thanks

Tracey 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems everyone here are reporting. First the wireless FAIL - and then an error that tells me the USB Device is not compatible. 

I have no fixes yet, but am looking for one here.

Thanks,

Dave

HP Recommended

Did you reset the printer?

Turn the printer off, hold # and 6 keys while turning back on.

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.