Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Same problem here, but on a PC running Windows 7. I tried the # + 6 routine, which did completely reset the printer, but it still cannot find my router and has the same "FAIL" message that the others have found. Has anyone found a solution yet that doesn't involve a heavy hammer!

HP Recommended

I don't.   Mercifully, Hurricane Sandy destroyed my 309 and that is the last product I will buy from this front company that should be ashamed to bear the great names of Hewlett and Packard.      

It's bad enough that they sell poorly-designed hardware, and then don't support it, but then they insult experienced IT pros on this forum, referring to us as "students"

Typical - great tech company started by engineers, run into the ground by clueless businessmen.

HP Recommended

Called HP as suggested for my C309 (Remove USB device) problem. Was told "well it is awfully old" "you should get a new one!" CUSTOMER SERVICE? SAD ISN'T IT? My last 2 printers were HP all in ones, had issues with them also and had to throw away just after a year. These units cost quite a bit of money for the service they give and the non exhistant customer service. I guess my fault for staying a loyal HP customer but NO MORE!

HP Recommended
Turning off the printer and holding the # and 6 keys while restarting worked!  It even resolved a  misalignment problem.   Thank you!

Did you reset the printer?

Turn the printer off, hold # and 6 keys while turning back on.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  I have been fighting this for a long time.  It worked so far.

HP Recommended

YIPPEE IT WORKED THANK YOU #6!!!!!!

HP Recommended

This worked for USB error message.  Also for Black not printing problem.

HP Recommended

Excellent support, maybe this will be answered in the next 2 years?  I'm having the same issue.

HP Recommended

After a LOT of time spent on the phone with their tech team, they determined that I need a new machine.  Luckily I was just within the replacement window, but it was tight.  Good luck, I hope you're able to resolve it soon!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.