Question

Student
ckicenbice
Message 1 of 9 (15,710 Views)

C4680 "Media tray needs to be filled"

Printer not printing. Running it with an IMAC.  Been working fine for over a year.  I assume the statement means to fill paper in the tray.  Paper is in the tray, nothing is obstructing it.  i've shown a flashlight into the tray and i can see the levers raising when i push the paper in.  I have shut off the printer and restarted it.  Any help?

Honor Student
LupinThe8th
Message 2 of 9 (15,549 Views)

Re: C4680 "Media tray needs to be filled"

I had the same problem for a while and have just solved it.

The problem was that the printer couldn't grab the paper which I placed on the Media Tray.

Look inside when it tries to print. You should see a white plastic part that gets pushed up when you insert the papers, on the right side.

There should be a dark grey roller, which looked dirty.

I cleaned the roller gently with a q-tip with rubbing alchohol, let it dried, then tried again.

It prints now without the error message.

I'm glad that I didn't have to buy another printer.

If this doesn't help, open the back door and look for any piece of paper that are stuck.

Honor Student
chicagodan
Message 3 of 9 (11,077 Views)

LupinThe8th, thank you for posting your great solution. I had this same issue on my HP Deskjet D1660. I taped a Q-tip onto a letter opener, dipped it in Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cleaned the roller, which was visibly dirty. The printer now works perfectly.
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 4 of 9 (10,665 Views)

I didn't see "a white plastic part that gets pushed up when you insert the papers" or "a dark grey roller, which

looked dirty," but I applied alcohol liberally over all the rollers with a q-tip; in fact, I applied alcohol over EVERYTHING. The result? much to my surprise, the printer started working after a few minutes's pause. Thanks for the tips. 

Student
dennissloan57
Message 5 of 9 (9,726 Views)

My tray is full and I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting but the device still gives me "media tray needs to be filled"

Honor Student
MK2014
Message 6 of 9 (2,546 Views)

I had the same trouble.  Printer was working great for well over a year with iMac.

But stopped printing and gave me the "Media tray needs to be filled" error message.  

Paper tray was full and I pulled it all out and reinserted but that didn't help.

Tried lifting the printer cartridge cover - which works great for printing double sided or after paper runs out - but that didn't help either.

I didn't see a white or gray plastic thing when the rollers moved so I didn't know where to apply alcohol.

Instead I used a compressed gas duster (canned air) and just blew out the roller area.

It did the trick and now it works fine.

Student
patprice
Message 7 of 9 (1,408 Views)

What does it mean when my printer HP Envy 5530 says MEDIA TRAY NEEDS TO BE FILLED and SPOOL AREA FULL?  I have paper in the tray.

Pat Price

Honor Student
chicagodan
Message 8 of 9 (1,393 Views)

Please read my earlier response plus LupinThe8th's.  Cleaning the feeding roller with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol solved our common problem, should help you, too.

Student
anagaue
Message 9 of 9 (1,201 Views)

Unplug the cords. Take the paper out. Simply blow realy hard into the media loading area. Wedge something dull into the loading roller and blow the dust out more. Simple fix :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation