C4680 "Media tray needs to be filled" (14196 Views)
Student
ckicenbice
Message 1 of 6 (14,196 Views)

C4680 "Media tray needs to be filled"

Printer not printing. Running it with an IMAC.  Been working fine for over a year.  I assume the statement means to fill paper in the tray.  Paper is in the tray, nothing is obstructing it.  i've shown a flashlight into the tray and i can see the levers raising when i push the paper in.  I have shut off the printer and restarted it.  Any help?

Honor Student
LupinThe8th
Message 2 of 6 (14,035 Views)

Re: C4680 "Media tray needs to be filled"

I had the same problem for a while and have just solved it.

The problem was that the printer couldn't grab the paper which I placed on the Media Tray.

Look inside when it tries to print. You should see a white plastic part that gets pushed up when you insert the papers, on the right side.

There should be a dark grey roller, which looked dirty.

I cleaned the roller gently with a q-tip with rubbing alchohol, let it dried, then tried again.

It prints now without the error message.

I'm glad that I didn't have to buy another printer.

If this doesn't help, open the back door and look for any piece of paper that are stuck.

Honor Student
chicagodan
Message 3 of 6 (9,563 Views)

LupinThe8th, thank you for posting your great solution. I had this same issue on my HP Deskjet D1660. I taped a Q-tip onto a letter opener, dipped it in Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cleaned the roller, which was visibly dirty. The printer now works perfectly.
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 4 of 6 (9,151 Views)

I didn't see "a white plastic part that gets pushed up when you insert the papers" or "a dark grey roller, which

looked dirty," but I applied alcohol liberally over all the rollers with a q-tip; in fact, I applied alcohol over EVERYTHING. The result? much to my surprise, the printer started working after a few minutes's pause. Thanks for the tips. 

Student
dennissloan57
Message 5 of 6 (8,212 Views)

My tray is full and I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting but the device still gives me "media tray needs to be filled"

Student
MK2014
Message 6 of 6 (1,032 Views)

I had the same trouble.  Printer was working great for well over a year with iMac.

But stopped printing and gave me the "Media tray needs to be filled" error message.  

Paper tray was full and I pulled it all out and reinserted but that didn't help.

Tried lifting the printer cartridge cover - which works great for printing double sided or after paper runs out - but that didn't help either.

I didn't see a white or gray plastic thing when the rollers moved so I didn't know where to apply alcohol.

Instead I used a compressed gas duster (canned air) and just blew out the roller area.

It did the trick and now it works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation