Question

Honor Student
yesbyes
Message 1 of 26 (17,747 Views)
Accepted Solution

C4700 Wireless Scan

I just got a new iMac. Mac OSX v. 10.6.2. I have set up the printer just fine but when I tried to scan wirelessly it could not find the scanner. Maybe I am not doing it right. I click on the HP Photosmart Studio. Then I hit the "Scan" button next to the "Import" button in the toolbar. This opens HP Scan. Then a dialog pops up that says "Choose an HP Scanning Device". At the bottom of the dialog it has a spinning logo and says "Showing 0 of 0 devices". It never finds my C4700. When I tried to scan wirelessly from my son's Dell Mini (Windows XP) and my wife's ASUS Eee PC (Windows 7 Starter) it worked fine. Do I need to do something so my iMac will find the scanner or do I just have to connect it directly?
Honor Student
paonep
Message 2 of 26 (17,736 Views)

Re: C4700 Wireless Scan

Hi there... Exactly the same problem here... 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 3 of 26 (17,730 Views)

In 10.6, you initiate a scan using Preview or Image Capture, not the HP software.

In fact, if you loaded the software from the printer CD, it is specifically not for 10.6.  You should get rid of it:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled, which is why we don't run this thing all the time)
Click Continue
Let the scrubber do it's thing.

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Student
Runaround
Message 4 of 26 (15,051 Views)

I just set this thing up and have the exact same problem. Been working for two hours and can't scan. Bought this at the Apple store and thought it was compatable. However on the machines own menu I don't see any way to scan to a mac.

The choices are scan to a card, wireless or PC

This is compatability?

I set up the software and got to congratulations--so I assume everything is correct. But  my brand new Mac won't pick up the scanner.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 26 (15,040 Views)

Did you install the software from the CD?  Unless your CD says it specifically supports 10.6 Snow Leopard, you must uninstall it using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rswc90
Message 6 of 26 (14,235 Views)

So...what about Leopard (not SNOW leopard) that is, 10.5.8 -- HP's been great sending me a new printer, prints great -- just not scanning at all -- I did find a way to get to the web-scanner and it worked -- I installed the 1st 2 printers via downloading software. This printer I used the CD that came with it and then updated. 

Mac OS X 10.5.8

HP 4500 series, 4700 series, D110 series -- (none scans wirelessly...)

Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 26 (14,222 Views)

Are you using ScanPro to scan?  You may want to uninstall the software from the CD and download the software from HP.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rswc90
Message 8 of 26 (14,219 Views)

I am :"trying" to use the scan software that came with the computer -- that means clicking on the "scan" icon -- this is a Mac. I am on my THIRD printer-scanner-copier from HP -- I have tried these on 2 different computers -- so it SEEMS like it's really about Leopard and not the machines themselves...  ScanPro? Sorry, don't use it.   Thanks for the reply...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 26 (14,217 Views)

OK, in Finder navigate to: Applications > Hewlett-Packard.  There should be a scanning program in there you are supposed to use.

What scan software came with the computer?  What is the name?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rswc90
Message 10 of 26 (14,204 Views)

[ Edited ]

It just says HP scan.app -- I have installed, UNinstalled, manually uninstalled etc... tried to remove files by going into library files as well.  Someone on another listservs aid I needed "Bonjour" to scan -- do I?!   Thanks again!

p.s. I am now working with HP's latest send to me -- the D110 -- Do I need to take this to another forum?!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation