Question

Honor Student
ekr221
Message 1 of 5 (2,695 Views)
Accepted Solution

C4780 won't print, via wireless or USB

A while ago, I changed the name/pw of my wireless network, and my C4780 printer, which I was using as a wireless device, stopped working.

Today, I tried to reinstall the software to change the wireless settings of the printer, and the setup assistant won't even recognize it when it's on a USB connection. I know it's not the cable or computer, because if I install the driver without setting up the printer, it appears under Print & Fax in system prefs. But it still won't print via USB, and I can't figure out how to fix the wireless settings either.

What do I do? This is incredibly frustrating, it's practically brand new and completely nonfunctional.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8. I've reset the wireless settings on the printer, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software several times. I tried changing the network name back to what it was, but (I guess since I had already reset the printer's wireless settings) that didn't work either.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 5 (2,684 Views)

Re: C4780 won't print, via wireless or USB

Print a Wireless Network Test from the printer.  It will self-test the printer's radio.  Let me know what it says.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ekr221
Message 3 of 5 (2,676 Views)

The Wireless Network Test Report says that the passphrase configured on the printer isn't right, and to run the wireless network setup to re-enter the WPA passphrase.

On the Diagnostics Summary, it gets a PASS for Wireles On, Wireless Working, and Network Name Found. It gets a FAIL for Security.

I can't get to the wireless setup though, as I said. When I run the Setup Assistant, it doesn't recognize my printer.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 5 (2,660 Views)

Do another "Reset Network Defaults" from Setup > Network on the printer.

Now, reset the printer by turning it off, unplugging power from the rear of the printer (not the wall), waiting 30 seconds, plug in and turn on.

I am employed by HP
Student
MO50
Message 5 of 5 (211 Views)

I have a similar problem with my C4780. When I tried to change wireless networks (using the setup CD) it reported a failure and attempted to complete the setup. However now the printer does not respond at all.

I unplugged, as described above, and when I plugged it back into the device and powered up, the display simply sits with the HP logo and two parallel blue lines. There is movement on the lines, but no other sign of life.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation