Can print test page, but nothing else! What gives?? (5702 Views)
Student
appl_srsly
Message 1 of 8 (5,702 Views)

Can print test page, but nothing else! What gives??

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm running MBP with Lion 10.7.5 with the latest software updates and printer drivers installed.

My MBP goes catatonic when I try to print from any program - Word, Adobe Reader, TextEdit. The job will show up in the print queue, and will do one of three things: (i) get stuck on "1% completed...", (ii) get stuck on "100% completed...", or (iii) get stuck on "Connected to printer."

Now for the weird part...

I CAN print a test page using the HP Utility from the very same computer!!!

So, what gives? How can I get the MBP to use the same drivers the HP utility uses to print from the same computer?

By the way, I also have a 2009 MBP (osx 10.5.8) that prints fine to this printer.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've followed the usual steps - "Reset printing" right-click thing, removed and reinstalled the printer, shut down the computer after reinstalling....everything except upgrade to 10.8.2, and I'm not even sure that would fix this. Still, no dice.

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 2 of 8 (5,687 Views)

Re: Can print test page, but nothing else! What gives??

Hi app_srsly,

Please provide us information about the printer model that you are using and how it is connected to your Mac.

Although you mentioned you already did reset the printing system, can you please do it again and also have the Disk Permissions repaird by the Disk Utility. Then open Print & Scan and add your printer again - please verify that next to Print Using the correct printer driver is listed.

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
Honor Student
paleosje
Message 3 of 8 (5,670 Views)

Absolutely same problem.  Everything works with iMac 10.6.8 but can not print from Airbook 10.7.5 (but just like first poster I can print Diagnostics page just fine from 10.7.5).  

What I have tried:

Removed and re-added printer

Turned computer on and off

Turned printer on and off

Printer software updated on computer

Confirmed printer software updated

No matter what Mine also gets stuck on "100% completed..." and says "Printer Ready" and document remains in queue.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a series

Model CM749A

Service id 22280

Firmware CLP1CN1232AR

I hope that you can provide some solution.  Thanks.

Honor Student
paleosje
Message 4 of 8 (5,668 Views)

Additional info for previous follow up post.

Both computers are connected wireless.

Used same CD for both installs.

Did initial install and set up of the printer from the 10.6.8 machine

Thanks

Honor Student
appleuser1234
Message 5 of 8 (5,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi -- FYI, I'm the OP, just had to make a new account.

Thanks, Mandy - here is the printer I'm using:

HP Officejet 6600 H711g

Connected wirelessly via

Netgear N300 Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNR3500v2

Jumbo frames are NOT enabled

I reset the printing system again, repaired the disk permissions with disk utility, then re-added my printer. Went into Textedit to print a dummy page with the words "Testing the printer," selected File -> Print, ensured that my printer was selected, clicked Print, and still no dice.

The print queue came up and showed 100% complete, but just sat there on that screen. Nothing printed.

EDIT: I also tried setting up the printer as an AirPrint printer, and still no go.

Would an upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8.2) fix this issue?

Here's a snippet from the system.log during the time I followed those steps: 

Oct 12 21:02:06 mycomp printtool[494]: Resetting print system

Oct 12 21:11:47 mycomp TextEdit[548]: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID -1

Oct 12 21:11:47 mycomp TextEdit[548]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Oct 12 21:11:47 mycomp TextEdit[548]: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSSetWindowShadowAndRimParametersWithStretch: Invalid window 0xffffffff

Honor Student
appleuser1234
Message 6 of 8 (5,637 Views)

Solved!! :smileyvery-happy:

Here's what I did to fix the problem:

1) My printer in particular has an embedded web server (EWS). I enabled the EWS (with security) on the printer itself.  NOTE: I'm not totally sure this step is needed for the solution, but these are the steps I followed regardless.

2) I reset the printing system on the MBP for the umpteenth time.

3) Re-added the printer, but this time selected "IP" from the top.

4) Selected "Internet Printing Protocol" and put in my printer's IP address into the Address field. This auto-populated the correct driver in the "Print Using" drop-down menu.

NOTE: To find your printer's IP address, either View Connected Devices in your router's web admin page, or open a terminal window and type in "ping [hostname]", where [hostname] is the name your printer uses on your network (hit Ctrl+C to stop the ping process).

5) Opened Word, typed in a dummy message, and printed as usual. This time, it worked!!

6) Also tested in Adobe Reader and it worked. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps others!

Student
dilyn
Message 7 of 8 (2,887 Views)

have an hpc4780 can print test page but nothing else

Master's Graduate
Mandy_G
Message 8 of 8 (2,871 Views)

Hi dilyn, 

Could you please provide more details about your computer/OS, driver used, connection type etc? Also verify if making copies from the device itself works properly. 

Have you already tried the steps from appleuser1234?

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation