Question

Tutor
Parkinglot7
Message 1 of 16 (8,138 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't Print or Scan from MacBook Pro to Officejet 6500 E709n after Firmware Upgrade

I have -

MacBook Pro; OS X 10.5.8

HP OJ 6500 E709n: Firmware RBP1FN0935AR connected via Ethernet to my network.

Also several XP machines, and a Vista machine.

I did most of my printing and scanning from MBP.  I upgraded the firmware last week to the version (listed above) found under the XP Software and Drivers for that printer.  I figured newer firmware is always better.  Anyway, after doing so, I can no longer Print or Scan from the MBP.  I've uninstalled and re-installed the software on my MBP 2 times.  And I've followed the directions on this forum for posts with similar problems.

I can see the printer in Systerm Preferences > Print & Fax.  It is listed and has a green light.  I can browse to the printer and login.  I can even get ink status.

BUT when I run Setup Assistant, the printer is not listed in the "Select Device" window. 

When I do the "Add device by IP" and enter the IP address,  I get a message saying it could not connect to the printer.

I can print from my XP and Vista machines.  The XP machine is a virtual machine on VMWare Fusion on my MBP.  So I now transfer what I want to print to my XP VM just to print.  NOT IDEAL, but it works.  Hoping to fix this.

1.  I would like to try to downgrade the firmware back to the earlier version.  Is there anyway to do that?  How do I get the earlier version of firmware?

2.  I also would like to know what ports are being used to communicate to the Printer?  If someone can let me know I will see if my MBP has those blocked or not.

3.  If anyone can offer some solution, I would appreciated it.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 16 (8,130 Views)

Re: Can't Print or Scan from MacBook Pro to Officejet 6500 E709n after Firmware Upgrade

I have never known Mac's to have port issues with HP printers.

Let's start with the basics: reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Parkinglot7
Message 3 of 16 (8,120 Views)

Re: Can't Print or Scan from MacBook Pro to Officejet 6500 E709n after Firmware Upgrade

Alright!!  I have a long way to go to be Jedi.

So I was successful in adding the printer back to "Print & Fax."  And I was able to print.  "much rejoicing"

It seems I did not wait long enough last time, and went directly to the IP tab and tried to manually entered the IP.

Anyway next: the HP Scan Pro still does not find the device.

Will definitely hit "kudos" button if you fix this.  I'll it as many times as I can :smileyhappy:

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 16 (8,117 Views)

Now, let's go for a clean re-install.  Let's scrub the software:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, download and install the software from here.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Parkinglot7
Message 5 of 16 (8,100 Views)

OK, I finaly figured this thing out.  What was happening was my wireless connection is not (for unknown reasons at this point) allowing my Mac to connect to the printer.  Even though I can get to the webpage.  Maybe Bonjour is not getting through.

Anyway on a whim, I turned off AirPort and used a ethernet cable to connect to the same switch the 6500 was on and reinstalled the software.  And whaddaya know.  I was able to install the printer, then did a scan and a print, and a jig around the room.

I unplugged the cable and turn on the wireless connection again, and wouldn't you know it, HP Scan Pro can't connect to the 6500.  Went back to the wire and it works.  Hmmm.

I'm due for a new Wireless AP anyway.  The DLink and my Verizon FIOS Actiontec Router sometimes do some weird things.

I'll still give you, PrintDoc, 1 kudo for willing to help.  And the 3 Key Uninstall; that was new to me.

I may be the only one who ever ran into this, but it may be worth saying, Do NOT take your wireless connection for granted.  Always test everything.

Thanks

Student
rebende
Message 6 of 16 (7,993 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless prints from MacBook Pro w/ OS X but not from Virtual Windows 7

I'm running Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop on a new MacBook Pro.  I have a wireless network in the house.  When I installed the HP software in the MBP and got connected to the network my wife's Vista machine would no longer print using the 8500.  Her machine still will not print no matter what we do but it finds the internet OK.  

I installed Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac on the MBP and then installed a new copy of Windows 7 Professional.  No matter what I do the HP 8500 will not print from the virtual Windows 7.  Do I need to reload the HP8500 software when running in Windows 7?  If so, can I still be in Convergence view?

I even downloaded a Cisco networking to try and sort everything out but to no avail.  I'm anything but a networking wiz and am struggling with all the terminology and what to do.

Any help out there would be appreciated.

Rob

Honor Student
Alli115
Message 7 of 16 (6,021 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless prints from MacBook Pro w/ OS X but not from Virtual Windows 7

On the macbook I spent days trying to problem solve this issue, and it all came down to changing the permissions under the "sharing tab"

Open your printer & fax preferences (on the macbook pro)

Click on the printer

You'll see a check box that says "Share this printer on the network"

Check it :smileywink: 

THEN

Click the button that says "Sharing Preferences"

Click ON Scan Sharing.  

Should work now.

Honor Student
HKS_AB
Message 8 of 16 (5,813 Views)

Can't Scan from iMac to Officejet 6500 E709 Wireless

I can do everything but scan to my iMac computer. I have tried checking for new software updates, uninstalling and installing the software and removing and adding the printer. What else can I try?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 16 (5,799 Views)

Re: Can't Scan from iMac to Officejet 6500 E709 Wireless

It may not scan TO your Mac, but it will scan FROM your Mac.  Use HP Scan, Image Capture or Preview.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
kolbww
Message 10 of 16 (5,645 Views)

I have a related but different problem. Using a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and a HP5510 All-in-one.

I have complete success printing from email or through Preview. However, I cannot print from any Microsoft Office file,

either Word or Excel files. The printer initializes, then sends one sheet of paper right through the machine, printing nothing.

Having read some of the solutions to related problems, I am curious how to "right-click" on the MBP trackpad?

Looking forward to printing in Office again!!!

kolbww

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation