Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

It could be that the printer's radio has died.  Can you access the printer through a browser when it is connected by an Ethernet cable?  If so, you can just print that way.  Even devices that connect wirelessly will be able to print to it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

yes - i've been printing that way since i bought it - via ethernet. its wireless from our laptops but its not ideal to have to have the printer right next to the router. thankfully where the router is there is room but i'd still like to get it solved to be able to move the printer and still have wireless printing from our laptops. 

is there any sure fire way to tell if the radio has died? 

HP Recommended

Does the status report say anything about the radio?

Another option is to use powerline Ethernet to put it anywhere in your house: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WG6JF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EKYDPHH42WPP&coli...

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

i don't know - i didn't print out another status sheet

i've basically conceded to just using this printer via ethernet...thankfully there's a convenient place right near our router and for a $20 local buy in a pinch to replace my broken epson i'm okay with it - wireless printing with no wire from my laptop is of primary importance and i get that even with the wireless feature on the printer not working 

thanks for your help 

Justin 

HP Recommended
Just like Brandon, I haven't used my printer in years as wireless, first because I had no ink (dried up, stayed unpacked for at least two yrs!) Next, I moved and had other printers and had forgotten how to setup "wireless" connection! This old lady, thanks you a bunch!
HP Recommended

I have a macbook pro and no ethernet cable.  All I have is wireless inernet.  Is there a way for me to get my HP Deskjet 6988 onto the network?  I have spent hours trying to figure out how to get it on the network wirelessly.

HP Recommended

@KatharinaS
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand you are having issues with the wireless setup connection using the HP 6988,

Here's a related post on the same HP Forums conversation that seemed to have helped others: Click here for the solution

If the above didn't help, follow the steps below:

1. Plug in the power cord, turn on the printer and install print cartridges. Allow the printer to go through its startup routine, including printing an alignment page (if applicable).
  2. Choose one of the connection methods described below. If your printer supports it and you choose an Ethernet (wired) connection, connect it now and skip to installing printer softwareNote: while using an Ethernet connection the printer's wireless system is disabled.

If you want to print wirelessly without a wireless router, learn about it here.

Your printer will support at least one of these methods to connect to your 
wireless network:
Click here for more details

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.