Question

Top Student
quelrat
Message 1 of 6 (346 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't access Color Management options for HP 6700 under Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

Hello.

I've got the HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One and I can't find any way to access Color Management options.

The printer is attached (Wi-Fi) to my iMac running Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).

I want to correct a magenta cast to photographs that I've printed.  I've had the magenta-cast problem under Lightroom and using Preview to print the photographs, so now I want to work with color profiles in Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements recommends that I "disable color management in the printer preferences dialog".

However, I'm not able to find color management preferences for the 6700 in any of the settings under Mountain Lion:

Not under (Apple) > System Preferences > Print & Scan.

Not under (HP Utility) > Open Embedded Web Server.

Not under (HP Utility) > Printer Settings.

Not under Preview's print dialog.

Nor can I find any clear direction in the online help (at HP or elsewhere) that I've read so far.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Michael

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 6 (330 Views)

Re: Can't access Color Management options for HP 6700 under Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

Hello quelrat,
Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you're looking for color management options for the Officejet 6700 with your Mac 10.8. I will try to help you with this.

I was able to locate a document on Changing Print Settings in Mac OS X. This may help you with what you're trying to do.
Step three specifically looks to have the pathing to where your trying to get to, though I'm not 100% positive.

Give that document a read through, and let me know if it was able to provide you with what you were looking for.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
quelrat
Message 3 of 6 (326 Views)

Re: Can't access Color Management options for HP 6700 under Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

Alas, that didn't work.

In the page you refer, it instructs me:

"In the Paper Type/Quality or Media & Quality menu, click Color Options , if it is available."

But Color Options is NOT available. See screenshot below.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Michael

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 9.09.36 PM.png

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 4 of 6 (313 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and screen shot.

The first thing I would like you to do is reset the print system.
OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system

Then add the printer back in, however when adding it in don't just click on the printers name, click on add printer or scanner. Make sure that the "use" is set to the printer and not Airprint.
If it's showing as Airprint, you will be missing feautres compared to the actualy printers driver.

After that, I'll provide you wit several documents that you may find helpful to complete this task.
HP Documents:
Advanced Color Management for HP Next-Generation Inkjet Printing Products
Overview of Advanced Color Management

Apple documents:
Mac OS X 10.6: Modifying images using ColorSync Utility
Mac OS X 10.6: About ColorSync

Cnet document:
How to use ColorSync Utility to assign color profiles in OS X

I know a few say 10.6, but they are to give you an reference and idea, to try to do what you are.
Please let me know if that helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
quelrat
Message 5 of 6 (282 Views)

This appears to have worked; I can now select Color Matching from the Print dialogue.

It also appears that when you instruct Photoshop Elements to manage color, it does so, without having to disable the printer's color management elsewhere. (In fact, the Color Matching section in Photoshop Elements' Print dialogue is grayed out.)

Having Photoshop Elements manage color also seems to improve resolution and fidelity of the image over printing it from Lightroom (Lightroom 4, at least).

I consider the issue resolved.

Thank you!

Michael

Top Student
quelrat
Message 6 of 6 (281 Views)

Please note that in the Print dialog I get "Color Matching" not "Color Management."

Still, I am (at this point) able to control color from Photoshop Elements, so that's good enough to proceed.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation