Question

Tutor
emmgee
Message 1 of 8 (9,826 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't find device

I am using the C6180 all-in-one printer.  I am using the most recent driver/utility software from the HP web site.  I am using a relatively new MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.6 and all the latest updates.  I connect the printer to my network via LAN using a cable.  I can print to the printer just fine, but I can't communicate with the printer to do other things, e.g., copy or scan.  When I use the HP Device Manager and go to "Information and Settings" and select "Choose Device", no device appears in the window under "Select your HP All-in-One Device".  Any task that I try times out because no device can be found.

How to do associate the printer with my computer so that I can use the "all" functions of my "all-in-one" printer?

Thanks,

Mike

Tutor
emmgee
Message 2 of 8 (9,818 Views)

Re: Can't find device

Solution:  I power-cycled the printer but that didn't change anything.  I then used the Setup Assistant, which I thought I had already done when I originally installed the software.  But I guess not... I saw some screens I hadn't seen before and after that I saw an entry in the device dialog.  Everything seems to work now.
Top Student
billincolo
Message 3 of 8 (9,765 Views)

can you scan? When I went to 10.5.6, I could print but the scanner would not work(error message: cannot initialize scanner). After spending time with Apple and HP it was concluded HP had to update its driver. I am awaiting the update.
Tutor
emmgee
Message 4 of 8 (9,764 Views)

I used the driver currently posted on the HP web site for the C6180, 9.7.1.  I wasn't aware that a version 10 was available.  In any case, I was able to get it working as described above.  This morning the Apple Software Update utility offered to upgrade their HP drivers to 1.1.1 but I declined based on what someone reported that this breaks the HP-delivered driver.

I posted a message on in forum that covers the Windows drivers:  HP really needs to do better testing.  It should be easier to set up a printer and get it to work — and a Windows or OS X update shouldn't break their driver.

Mike

Top Student
billincolo
Message 5 of 8 (9,761 Views)

did you try to scan?
Tutor
emmgee
Message 6 of 8 (9,759 Views)

Thanks for your interest in my problem.  In my second post I indicated that I was able to get things working.  I am able to scan.  The problem seemed to be that I hadn't fully configured the printer during the original driver installation.  I used the Setup Assistant via the Device Manager and that did the trick. 

Mike

Top Student
billincolo
Message 7 of 8 (9,744 Views)

thanks for your info. I tried your method and it worked perfectly using the setup assistant. It is not clear why it worked differently than using the setup in system preferences, but it worked and that is what counts. The HP people missed this when I talked to them. They just had me skip the setup assistant and do it through system preferences.

thanks again 

Student
kaoscowboy
Message 8 of 8 (4,891 Views)

Help....

I am using (trying) a HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One, about a year old, on a brand new MacBook Pro

Running Mac OS 10.6.4.  On all of the driver information I can find this printer is listed as working with this OS.  As well it is listed as an pre-included driver already in the system.

I have run the setup utility any number of times. Uninstalled, re-downloaded the driver as well as the update and re-installed it.  In no sequence of setup, utility, or trouble shooting will my computer recognize my printer in any fashion, for any use.

I actually took my USB cable to a local tech shop to have it tested... it works.

It is implicitly stated on the website that my OS should work with this computer.

I've been at it for 4 hours now. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation