Question

Honor Student
bossmor
Message 1 of 18 (10,946 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't get mac to install my accept my HP Deskjet F4480

I bought a mac laptop and have a mac desktop.  The HP Deskjet F4480 came as a promotion with the purchase.  I have installed off of the disk that came with it that says HP Deskjet F4400 series Mac OS X v 10.4 v10.5; version 10.0.  My desktop runs Leapard Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 .  My laptop runs the same version. 

The printer is not listed so I check the box that says the printer is not listed.  It does bring the printer up.  I am getting the following error message when I try to add it as a printer:

Your divice is not listed, it is not supported, it is not supported by this installer.

I have downloaded the software from HP drive downloads but I get the same message.

What can I do?  Is there some type of fix or setting on my computers that needs to be changed?

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 2 of 18 (10,918 Views)

Re: Can't get mac to install my accept my HP Deskjet F4480

Hello bossmor,

hmmm, not sure what the problem is   the Deskjet F4480 is supported with 10.5 Leopard.   One suggestion might be to make sure the printer is turned on and connected via USB cable to the Mac laptop.   Try and run the installer again and it should recognize the printer and continue install process OK.  

If this doesnt work, go to the Applications folder, HP folder, and run the uninstaller to remove all the old HP software, and then try the the install process again.

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) 

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
bossmor
Message 3 of 18 (10,892 Views)

It was suggested that I install what I installed from the dis and just plug the printer in. I am going to try that. Otherwise I will need more help.
Student
kjusticia
Message 4 of 18 (10,655 Views)

i'm getting the same message as Bossmor. My mac runs OSX 10.4. (tiger) if anyone could help out would be great, i'm a design student and need my printer for daily assigments.  
Student
notohp
Message 5 of 18 (10,583 Views)

i'm having the exact same issue with my macbook pro which runs on os 10.5.8.  The printer (HP 4880) came as a promotion as well.  I can install only up to set up installation.  Then I get the message that it is not supported by the installer.  ?????  Not much help is found on the HP website.  Super annoying.  I'll be sure to tell everyone not to go with HP.  this is ridiculous. 

Anybody figure this out yet?

thanks

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 6 of 18 (10,376 Views)

Hi,

It appears that there may be something odd with your install disks.  Let's uninstall and scrub the system to get the software from the disk out of the system, and than download the latest software from HP.com and run the installer again.

To scrub the software, here's what you'll need to do:

Go to Library/Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller

Click on Continue

Highlight your device on the left pane

Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall

There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software.  (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)

Click Continue

Let the scrubber do it's thing.

Download the lastest software from HP.com and follow the install process. 

Student
dudleyfisher
Message 7 of 18 (9,982 Views)

okay- i tried that. no success. this is my first hp product (all prior printers are brother and epsom.) maybe my new imac with 10.6 just is not compatible? funny that i got it as a package from a mail order place with a mail in coupon that makes it free. is this just a way to get them out of the warehouse? any other suggestions? seems like a neat printer if i could get it hooked up.
Student
deaves
Message 8 of 18 (9,975 Views)

Same problem here. I have a brand new mac that I bought with my HP f4480 printer/scanner. I've got it plugged into the Airport Extreme and it can see the printer but not the sanner and the printer utility won't see it either. Deeply frustrating since they are all brand new. I've installed all the new updates from mac and have downloaded the latest software/dirvers from HP.

Any thoughts anyone?

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 9 of 18 (9,910 Views)

Dudleyfisher,

HP posted the full software package for the F4480 on HP.com on Sept 21st. The software on the CD that came with your product and earlier downloads on HP.com were not fully compatible with this printer and 10.6.  Uninstall your HP software, download the 10.6 software package and set it up again.  You should be fine.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 10 of 18 (9,927 Views)

Plugging it into an Airport Extreme is essentially networking it.  This particular model isn't supported on a network.  Print only is all your are going to get setup that way.  To get full functionality, delete the print queue and set it up USB to your Mac directly and setup the print queue again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation