Question

Honor Student
flight23
Message 1 of 3 (1,536 Views)

Can't print mixed PDF page sizes in OSX with dual tray printer

I have an HP Laserjet 2430n. Current Firmware datacode is 20050823 08.109.2. I'm using a Macbook with OSX Leopard 10.5.6 and installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 with the latest updates.

When trying to print a PDF file with mixed page sizes (Letter/Legal), my only option is to print everything on letter by page scaling (legal will shrink to letter) otherwise the content on native legal size pages will cut off.

I'd like to print on both legal and letter since I have a dual tray printer. I have no issue printing this way in Windows XP (Acrobat has an option with Choose Paper Source by PDF page size) for Windows. However, the Mac does not have this option. Here's an Adobe TechNote about the Windows only option (scroll down to Windows Only Mixed pages sizes)

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332720#5

Can anyone tell me if this is a driver issue for the MAC or a software issue with Acrobat?

Does anyone know a work around or suggest installing a new driver/software? I think I'm using the default driver in Leopard since it recognized my printer (did not have to do anything to print to the printer).

I appreciate any help...
key Student
Student
key
Message 2 of 3 (1,512 Views)

Re: Can't print mixed PDF page sizes in OSX with dual tray printer

I am having the same problems with a LaserJet 3390 in Leopard (10.5.6) on a Mac Mini (the newest available). The printer's firmware timecode is 20070331, the newest version available.

Just like you, I am trying to get the printer pull from different trays. Of course mixed-page-size PDFs would print well in Windows, but I can't for the life of me get the same behavior in Mac OS X.

I suspect that it is an HP driver problem. When I open a PDF in acrobat, I can go to File -> Properties, click the Advanced tab, and I see a "Print Dialog Presets" section. Within that section I see "paper source by page size: no," and the entire section is greyed out. I'm not sure what this means just yet.

Someone with some background knowledge should help us. (: We would sure appreciate it...

Honor Student
flight23
Message 3 of 3 (593 Views)

Re: Can't print mixed PDF page sizes in OSX with dual tray printer

I was just curious if you ever found a solution to printing in OS X?  Any alternate PDF software out there that has a more feature rich print driver?  Personally, I think it's a software print driver feature lacking on the OSX side.  None of the latest Adobe Acrobat versions for OSX offer this feature yet.... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation