Question

Tutor
owyheeriver
Message 1 of 13 (3,700 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot print CD/DVD on Photosmart D5160

I have a new Mac computer, OS X version 10.6.6. I was able to print directly on CD/DVD's with my older Mac, using HP Photosmart D5160 printer and the DVD printer tray.  Not so with the new MAC.  IN HP Photosmart Create Mode, I chose to create a label, chose the 5 inch CD/DVD label, but I cannot even enter text into the text box, and when I choose to "print", I simply get the spinning wheel forever, and so I force quit.

I have checked my HP instruction manual, online, Apple support, this forum, and I still cannot find a solution to this problem.  Any idea's/solutions out there?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (3,681 Views)

Re: Cannot print CD/DVD on Photosmart D5160

Did you load HP software that was specifically made for 10.6?  If you have HP software for your printer that was not made for 10.6 we need to fix that first.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
owyheeriver
Message 3 of 13 (3,672 Views)

No, I installed the original CD software that came with the printer.  I did look around the HP website for some other software, but only found driver software, and the HP website said that the driver software came with my computer.  When I checked for this, it appears that I have the correct driver, as my computer will print emails and documents, but not much else.

Where do I find the software you speak of?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 13 (3,668 Views)

The original CD software was not meant for 10.6 and will not work or work well.

You must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

There is no software to download for your printer, it is built-in and your printer should now work.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
owyheeriver
Message 5 of 13 (3,654 Views)

Good instructions.  I followed them exactly in the order you suggest.  Unfortunately I still cannot print on a DVD.  Here are some things I noticed that you might want to know.

1. I have 2 HP printers, so I used the uninstall "scrubber" option while both printers were connected.

2. After uninstalling, I disconnected the printer that is not giving me problems (HP PSC officejet 1200 series) and I did not reinstall it.  This was in an effort to minimize the troubleshooting to one printer.

3. I then reinstalled the D5160 printer. (Note that "The Setup Assistant") does not complete at the end of the "Install" and so I chose to quit it.

4. I then restarted my MAC, ran Software Update (Note, there were no updates to install), and then reset the printing system.

5. I then attempted to create a CD/DVD project by choosing HP Photosmart Studio, choosing an image to print on my DVD, clicking on the "Create" icon, then "Labels", then selecting the template "Print on CD/DVD 5inch/120mm.

6. I then get the error message "The currently selected printer does not support direct printing to a CD or DVD."  I have to say that I always got this message at this point in my project, even with the old Mac.  But I was always able to complete the project, once I opened and inserted the CD tray on the printer.

7. At this point, I can choose a text box, but I cannot add any text to it.  The DVD icon in the right hand window is also not displayed as in the past (A DVD would appear displayed in the CENTER of a white square, with my selected image on the DVD.)  Rather, it is displayed as if it would print on a piece of paper, in the lower left corner of the paper.  I have tried customizing paper size, but that doesn't work either.

I will try these steps again, but I'm stumped.  I will let you know if I'm successful in case there was something I did differently that made a difference.

Tutor
owyheeriver
Message 6 of 13 (3,644 Views)

I tried this several more time with no success.  My D5160 will perform straight printing tasks, but the "create" features are none functional, even for making cards, etc.  Thanks for trying to help.  I do appreciate it.  I understand the kind of time of takes.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 7 of 13 (3,631 Views)

You are on the right path.  Now you just need to download and install the software that has the CD/DVD printing support in it.  In 10.5 it was bundled together with the drivers.  Not the case in 10.6. 

You can find it here

Grad Student
Randy_K
Message 8 of 13 (3,626 Views)

MBJustice -

It looks like there is a problem with the link in your last message.  At least for me clicking the link just loops back to this same topic.  Thanks - Randy

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 9 of 13 (3,622 Views)

Dang it.  Sorry.

Here ya go.

Software

Tutor
owyheeriver
Message 10 of 13 (3,599 Views)

Thank you MB Justice and Printdoc for your help.  With the additional software patch, I was successful!  For others who might see these posts, I would say to follow Printdocs instructions in post #4 with one modification.  After uninstalling your software, and then reinstalling your software from the original CD, follow that with an install of the update to it, contained in MBJustice msg #9 of this string.

Forever grateful:smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation