Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Since a few days my new Deskjet 2540 is always in use. I'm running OS X 10.9.2 and the latest drivers. When I try to print (Airprint and USB connection) the PrinterProxy app connects to the printer and updates the status to "Printer is in use". Sometimes, it does print after 15 minutes waiting, sometimes the printjob just disappears.

I tried this:

- Reinstalled drivers

- Completely reconfigured printer

- Reset the printer

No luck, are there other things I can do to fix this? Or could it be a hardware problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

They need to support Bonjour, which will include the correct port openings.  Bonjour is sometimes called mDNS and is referred to as multicasting.

You could refer to any of those with them and see what they say - or just get your own router that is compliant and use their box only for the modem part.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I did what you posted and when I print a file it goes to 13% done now. Sometimes, the status shows (I'm translating) "Not active", but it goes away after a while.

I printed the same file from my mum's PC and the printing goes fine. So, it isn't a hardware problem. I do not have wifi or other network problems on my iMac. No problems at all expect printing…

HP Recommended

What router?  Have you restarted it?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

When I restarted the wireless router, I could print 2 or 3 jobs and the problem returned. The ProxyPrinter app shows the "not active" state in the middle of printing. I checked the routers webpage and I found this:

Screenshot

The weird thing is, my printer doesn't have an IPv6 address, but IPv6 is active. Is that normal? Could that be a part of the problem?

HP Recommended

That could indeed be part of the problem.  Turn IPv6 off on the router (and in the printer web page settings if it exists there).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I need to contact my ISP. I'll be back!

HP Recommended

I've contacted my ISP and they said if the PC can print wirelessly, the Mac should too. They were so kind to say I need to contact HP support 😉 So, if you have any idea's how to solve this, do not hesitate!

I could print before the problem started, but I don't know what changed. Mb my ISP switched from IPv4 to IPv6. The question is, if my Mac prints using IPv6, could the PC still use IPv4?

Here is the screenshot from the PrinterProxy app:

Screenshot

You can see that there was a connection to the printer (33% done), but in the middle of printing it goes to a 'non active' state. Sometimes, this 'non-active' state goes away and the printing status changes to 'Printer in use'.

HP Recommended

Well, the ISP is wrong and clearly does not understand how Macs communicate over networks - it is totally different than PCs.

Macs use Bonjour (mDNS) to find the printer and often Bonjour is not implemented properly by the ISP in their router.

Honestly, the easiest solution to this problem is to get a standard router (Netgear, Cisco, Apple) and connect it to your ISP modem/router and connect everything to that new router.

Once connected, get into the ISP router and turn off its wifi radio.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

The wireless router is buildin the cable modem. Do they need to open some ports in the router or just support bonjour?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.