Question

Student
Shorebird
Message 1 of 21 (8,527 Views)

Deskjet 6988-Will Print 1 Page Only

Have three computers, all Mac's, two are running on OSX 10.5 and one is running on 10.6.1. My Deskjet will only print 1 page. If it is a three page document, it only prints "one" page. Since this happens on all three computers with two different operating systems, I have to assume it is the printer! Think this has happened before and I had to adjust a print setting! Thanks in advance!
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (8,518 Views)

Re: Deskjet 6988-Will Print 1 Page Only

Type the printer's IP address into a browser.  Navigate around in the printer's settings to see if there is something to adjust there (sorry, I don't have a 6988 to test).

Get the printer's IP address by printing a Network Config Page from the printer's front panel. 

I am employed by HP
Student
sherrib
Message 3 of 21 (8,439 Views)

Hi. Did you ever find a solution to your problem? My printer just started printing only 1 page (even if it's a 3 page document) as well. And this seems to happen in all applications.
Top Student
carlin80
Message 4 of 21 (8,291 Views)

Look at the "Paper Size" - I bet it is defaulting to "Letter Banner" instead of "US Letter."  Having the very same problem.  Right now the only solution seems to be to buy an Epson.
Top Student
carlin80
Message 5 of 21 (7,974 Views)

I have two Deskjet 6840.  Problem continues on both units.  Purchased a new laptop and the problem continues.  That means it is somehow tied to OS X 6 and HP Drivers.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (7,959 Views)

Did you load the HP software from the CD for your Snow Leopard Mac?  If so, that is a problem - it is for 10.5 and earlier only.

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
RRW Honor Student
Honor Student
RRW
Message 7 of 21 (7,925 Views)

Solved my "print only 1 page" problem with an HP Photosmart 7960 printer.  Many thanks.

Top Student
carlin80
Message 8 of 21 (7,906 Views)

I didn't load from the HP CD.  I don't have an HP folder in my Applications folder.  

This is a brand-new laptop with the same problem as my old laptop and my desktop on two HP Deskjets.  This has become beyond frustrating and given the price of printers, not worth much hassle.  When these ink cartridges are exhausted, I'll just buy another brand of printer.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 21 (7,904 Views)

Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
carlin80
Message 10 of 21 (7,893 Views)

Didn't work.  Continues to Default to "Letter Banner" and then prints a single page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation