Question

Honor Student
gianne
Message 1 of 4 (1,156 Views)

Deskjet F4480 not recognized by mac 10.7.3

I've been unable to get my macbook 10.7.3 to recognize the HP Deskjet F4480 printer. I went to the HP website to try to download the correct driver, during the HP installer process, I get almost to the end and am unable to complete the process. 

When I try to connect to the printer through system preferences, it does not recognize the printer, even though the printer is on and connected correctly.

Any suggestions? Please help!  :smileyhappy: 

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 4 (1,143 Views)

Re: Deskjet F4480 not recognized by mac 10.7.3

Gianne, lets try doing a power reset:

1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
    NOTE:The product might not turn off after pressing the Power button. Continue to the next step regardless.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Replug the power cord into the electrical outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

Typically during the install all the "important" items are installed at they very beginning. The end of the install contains items such as web registration and software registration. If the reset doesnt work report back and we can try some other steps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
gianne
Message 3 of 4 (1,083 Views)

Thank you for the response, unfortunately unplugging everything and restarting everything did not help. 

When going through the HP Installer, I get to the very last step (on the setup) when I am supposed to select the device.

Originally no printers show up as being recognized, yet I can clearly see the Deskjet f4400 series icon (mine is f4480) when I click the "Go Back" button. Yet unfortunately, with the deskjet printer clearly in view, when I click "continue" after highlighting the deskjet printer icon, the deskjet printer icon goes away and I am given a messaget that the printer is not supported by the installer.

I searched the website and am unsure what else to download, as the HP installer for Macs is what brought me to this situation in the first place.

Please help, very frustrated, thank you! 

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 4 of 4 (1,060 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok. I see you download the drivers from the HP site which may cause issues. Your printer is supported natively by 10.7 according to: HP Products with Print Drivers Supported in OS X 10.7 Lion and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Lets try this:

Let's uninstall with the 'scrubber option' like this:
1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller and click Continue
2. Highlight your device on the left pane
3. Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
4. There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
5. Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update. This can be done by clicking the Apple in the top left of the screen then clicking Software Updates. Make sure the printer is connected via USB to your computer recognizes the printer.

Next, let's reset the printing system:

Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Let me know if this fixes it!

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation