Question

Tutor
paulpp
Message 1 of 6 (7,219 Views)

Deskjet F4500

[ Edited ]

Been having all sorts of problems using this printer wirelessly.  On initial set up seems to be ok, BUT, (as far as I can tell) as soon as the printer goes into idle (sleep?) mode it will no longer connect wirelessly even if woken from sleep mode before I try printing.  My router and computers are using IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.x, and on the rare occasion I can access the printer wirelessly of through the web page it appears to have an IP address of 169.254.226.102.  Any ideas very very welcome and appreciated.  Meant to add I am using an iMac and a MacBook both running Snow Leopard.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (7,206 Views)

Re: Deskjet F4500

Looking at the IP address, the printer is not connected to your router.  You will need to re-connect it to the router and you should also set a static IP address for the printer.

You can re-connect via several methods.  If your router has WPS that is by far the easiest.  What kind of router do you have?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
paulpp
Message 3 of 6 (7,195 Views)

Was given the solution via another topic as follows (in case anyone else has the same problem)

It looks like the printer is not on your network properly.  The clue is that the printer's IP address is 169.254.x.y.

You are running a ADSL connection, right?  Who is your ISP?

Turn off the printer and your computers and finally turn off the Netgear router.  Unplug the telephone line (this is important) from the Netgear, wait 30 seconds and turn on the Netgear.  Wait another 60 seconds and turn on the printer.

What is the IP address of the printer now?  If it starts with 169.254.x.y, then the printer is not properly on the network.  If you got a different IP address (one that starts with 192.168.x.z or starts with 10.x.y.z), turn on one of your Macs (but leave the telephone line disconnected).

Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select Networking and then Wireless (802.11).  Under the IPv4 Configuration tab, select Manual IP:

• For Manual IP Address, use the existing printer IP address plus an offset.  For example, if the printer's IP address is currently 192.168.0.5, then use 192.168.0.30.
  • For Manual Subnet Mask, use 255.255.255.0
  • For Manual Default Gateway, leave blank.  This is important.

Select Manual DNS Server:

• Leave both the Manual Preferred DNS Server and Manual Alternate DNS Server fields empty.  This is important.

Press Apply.

Turn off the Netgear wireless-router and reconnect the telephone line.  Now turn off  the printer and all computers connected to your network.  Wait 60 seconds then turn on the wireless-router and then turn on the printer.  Then turn on the computers.

Finish up by installing the SW on the Macs.  Since you're running Snow Leopard, simply go to the Print & Fax System Preference and press [+] to add the printer

Honor Student
sbatch
Message 4 of 6 (1,134 Views)

My printer is not recognised by my wireless internet modem

Honor Student
sbatch
Message 5 of 6 (1,133 Views)

I need step by step help.   I recently changed ny Comcast router and now my printer is not connected.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 6 (1,119 Views)

OK, go to the HP folder and run the "Printer setup and software" to re-install your printer.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation