Question

Honor Student
sixsevans
Message 1 of 17 (24,138 Views)

Double-Sided Print, set as default, Snow Leopard

Problem: I often forget to check "Two-Sided" when I print. I prefer to save paper. The default should be Double-Sided printing (duplex mode) since my printer supports it.

My printer is connected/shared via my home network.

-- "Two-sided" was the default before I upgraded to Snow Leopard.  --

------- 
Solution: Make "Two-sided" the default printing mode for printers shared on a network:

1. Goto http://localhost:631/printers/ in your web browser, e.g., Safari.
The CUPS interface web page will appear.

2. Click your printer from the "Queue Name" list.
The maintenance and administration page for that printer will appear.

3. Select "Set Default Options" from the Administration menu.
The "Set Default Options" page will appear.

4. Select "Two-Sided Printing." 
A "Print Both Sides" menu will appear.

5. Select the option you want to be default.
Typically, you will select "Long-edge binding."

You are done.

--- 
Test the results:
1. Select Print from the File menu in any Mac application. The Print-Dialog will appear.
2.) Look in the Print-Dialog to see that "Two-sided" is now automatically checked -- you may need to expand the Print-Dialog by clicking the reveal-triangle to the right of the print selection field (top of the print dialog).

-------
Am I missing something?
The default, single-side printing, wastes paper. 
The solution to fix the default should be easier and more obvious!

-------

BTW,   "HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer)"   WAS checked in:
System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Options & Supplies -> Driver-HP Photosmart C7200 series 
That check did NOT make "Two-sided" the DEFAULT on my MacBook Pro.

Student
amlatane
Message 2 of 17 (23,422 Views)

Re: Double-Sided Print, set as default, Snow Leopard

I have a laserjet 1022 and recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and I too use double sided printing often, and now that option has disappeared for me. I tried doing this procedure  through the CUPs  interface web page, and the option under the Set Default Options page for two sided printing was not there. What do I do now?
Top Student
wzm108it
Message 3 of 17 (22,891 Views)

I tried the option listed below but it ask for a password when I try to save it.  Any ideas?
Honor Student
vladarino
Message 4 of 17 (20,854 Views)

Thank, it worked for my HP OfficeJet L7600 All-in-One on OS X Snow Leopard.

One thing though, I was not able to see the Set Default Printer Options page using Chrome Web browser.  I tried it on Safari and it worked fine.  

Thanks for posting this tip!!

Honor Student
vladarino
Message 5 of 17 (20,851 Views)

You have to do this while logged in as an administrator.  Enter the administrator user name and password.

Top Student
michaelmacklin
Message 6 of 17 (20,786 Views)

Useful stuff but have followed all the suggestions but still no two-sided printing.  Am operating in Snow Leopard with a new HP Photosmart Premium.  Wireless scanning now works with today's HP software update.  Any suggestions?

Honor Student
vladarino
Message 7 of 17 (20,762 Views)

[ Edited ]

>>Useful stuff but have followed all the suggestions but still no two-sided printing.  Am operating in Snow Leopard with a new HP Photosmart Premium.  Wireless scanning now works with today's HP software update.  Any suggestions?

Funny thing is I actually ended up still having the problem after I posted above.  Being able to set the double-sided setting is one thing, but actually seeing double-side print outs is another.  What I had to do was the following:

- System Preferences

- Print & Fax

- Click the lock to make changes (make sure you're logged in with admin privileges)

- Delete the printer by click the minus button under the Printers list

- Add the printer again by clicking the plus button (I used the print driver that comes with the OS)

- Follow the posts above for directions on ensuring the double-sided setting is default

Hope this helps

Student
jerre38
Message 8 of 17 (19,543 Views)

First, be sure that HP Two-sided Printing Accessory is checked in System Preferences > Print & Fax > Options & Supplies (with your HP printer selected) > Driver.  In the Print window, select you HP printer if you have more than one printer. Select Layout from the drop-down Copies & Pages menu. Choose your preferences for 2-sided printing. On the Presets menu, set Last Used Settings. Print a document. The next time you print a documen with your HP printer, the same Presets will be in place.

Top Student
philiplaming
Message 9 of 17 (15,290 Views)

Hi,  itried this for my Cxi 970 but the   System preferences> Print & bFax>OPtions & Supples>Driver window does not contain the option

Honor Student
Francy
Message 10 of 17 (13,707 Views)

Hi there, it's my first post, I just bought the HP Envy 100 and I cannot find a way to double print from my Macbook that has snow leopard: any idea?

Francy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation