Question
Drivers for Mac OS 10.6
Replies (124)

Honor Student
westonfront
Message 121 of 125 (966 Views)

Re: Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

There is a good solution for drivers for older HP and other older printers for use with MacOS 10.6

The open source driver and it's two underpinning components (detailed within the web page and help files) at the following

http://www.openprinting.org/driver/hplip

Worked as well as the HP driver I was using on 10.4.   I have a HP Business Inkjet 1000, but as you will see at the above site 100's of other older printers also work with this system.

I'm no IT guru, I cannot explain how one system runs so many printers, but I know it was easy for me to install the needed pieces of software and am happily printing again both locally and via the 'Shared Printer' Function

Honor Student
westonfront
Message 122 of 125 (964 Views)

[ Edited ]

jbj Top Student
Top Student
jbj
Message 123 of 125 (840 Views)

Been there, done that. I think "good solution" is an overstatement, at least in the case of my DeskJet 990cxi. The results I got were poor quality and inconsistent. A waste of time for my printer. And duplex printing - the reason I bought this model... forget about it.

Still upset with HP after all these months. What would it cost to build these drivers? The price of one corporate jet trip perhaps? They hide behind unofficial spokespeople on these forums and give us "helpful" advice like "buy a new printer" and "try this open source driver" instead of just doing the ethical thing - helping us keep using our perfectly good machines instead of throwing them on the junk heap.

Student
NoAnswer
Message 124 of 125 (521 Views)

Tried a number of the suggestions but they do not provide the quality I wanted (HP also force me to use the 990c drivers for the 6127 on Windows 7 which give less than stellar results also). Such a pity - if only HP would consider opensourcing their older drivers...

Feels so wrong to be turning out a perfectly functional network / duplex printer after only 7 years. Black mark against HP's green credentials I'm afraid. Even my Mac & PC from that time still get some level of support...

Reluctantly, I'm upgrading but not to an HP. I hope my new supplier of choice has a more forward (and backward) looking attitude...

Intern
fastdriver
Message 125 of 125 (519 Views)

NoAnswer and jbj/student-

That's exactly what I did! NO MORE HP for me! I do have other choices from SUPPORTIVE companies!

jbj- Ethical? Look who they hired for a CEO? He's gone now, but still under investigation!

It's ALL about $$$$$$, NOT "customer service"!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation