Replies (124)

Honor Student
jayhorns
Message 11 of 125 (6,018 Views)

Re: Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

The same question from me for:

HP Color Laserjet 1500

HP Laserjet 1020

Both have been very good printers for daily use. I hate to loose a combined $500 investment.

Intern
alfredo_tomato
Message 12 of 125 (5,945 Views)

I installed Gutenprint and it didn't work for my OfficeJet 5610 all in one.

I am on a fixed income, so it might be a while  before I can buy a new printer.  I don't want to, I like my printer. 

I have this driver installed:  Officejet 5600 series [CN71NDE0JP04CY] (Fax)  It doesn't work.   

SEL Top Student
Top Student
SEL
Message 13 of 125 (5,934 Views)

Same problem for me. I've spent hours trying to get my OfficeJet 5610 working in Snow Leopard. I've even tried some of the earlier drivers for OfficeJet but no luck. I don't even get an error message. It appears to print but nothing prints. 
Student
MagicBoy
Message 14 of 125 (5,929 Views)

I don't think HP writing printers off as over 5 years old is acceptable. HP are still making cartridges for these printers so it's not unreasonable to ask for supported drivers where they existed before.

Considering HP are pushing their Eco credentials is it not irresponsibly wasteful to make me throw away an perfectly functioning printer?

I'm using a 990cxi - HP produced Intel compatible drivers for 10.5 which work perfectly so how difficult can it be to recompile these for 10.6? There is a significant installed userbase of these printers and others based on the same underlying technology. The 990 is supported under Windows 7, so why not OS X 10.6?

OK, so Apple have provided Gutenprint as a workaround to keep older PCL printers working but the quality is utterly woeful on anything other than straight black text.

It gets worse when I think of this in a work context - we have a number of Mac users using as an example DeskJet 1120 as A3 proof attached to Intel Macs. They're just not going to accept the Gutenprint output, and Apple have pulled Leopard off the shelves so we can't downgrade the OS on new Apple workstations. The older HP printers are well built and we must have 150+ 800 series,900 series and Business Inkjet 1000 series still in regular use, although mainly on Windows.

HP - pull your finger out

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 15 of 125 (5,875 Views)

Hi all,

a couple of things that may help

HP Laserjet 1320 - the postscript driver (PPD) file is included in Snow Leopard so you should be OK for printing.  If network connected, note that Apple has dropped AppleTalk support with 10.6, you need to use IP to create a printer queue.

HP Laserjet P1005 and P1006 printers -  these printers are not yet supported in 10.6.  Unofficially, you may be OK to download and use the 10.5 Leopard drivers for basic printing functionality.   New 10.6 drivers are TBD from HP.  I'll post update info here asap when more is known.

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) 

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
Laureid
Message 16 of 125 (5,850 Views)

I too have an Officejet 5610, a printer that I use under OS 10.5 and also Win XP, very satisfactorily. I have had  the frustration of other posters of not being able to locate and load new printer drivers for 10.6. I have tried to load drivers from the Snow Leopard disk and also have downloaded the driver files from both Apple's and HP's websites [these appear to be identical], but cannot locate a suitable driver. The fax driver is there and when installed and selected, the fax function appears to work perfectly. The scanning function also works beautifully using the 10.6 inbuilt scanner driver. Like another poster I tried to install a printer driver close in number to the 5610, thinking that this might have similar functionality. This did allow me to set up the printer and even print a test page satisfactorily, but when I attempted to print from an application, like Text Edit or MS Word, the document would appear in the print queue, then vanish after a second or two. I am wondering if some of the drivers have been left out of the package, and maybe someone at HP should be cross-checking this against the published list of drivers. They should also be aware of the difference between printer drivers and fax drivers. For the 5610, the fax driver appears when you attempt to install via the 'Print Using:' drop down menu, but not the printer driver. It seems really slack that a major corporation like HP can't get this right when they've had months to work on the issue.
Honor Student
lpland
Message 17 of 125 (5,847 Views)

My Deskjet F4180 won't work either -  and it came with my iMac last year!  I had to replace my Dell printer because it wasn't compatible with Mac.  AppleCare can't help with the HP although they tried.   HP phone system hung up on me twice after telling me that one call center is unavailable and unusually high volume would make for a long wait.   Can't find supporting software on Gutenprint website.   Anyone else out there as frustrated as I am?  If I do need to replace my printer, it certainly won't be another HP.
Tutor
kerryd
Message 18 of 125 (5,843 Views)

Yes, I also need the P1505n printer driver for Snow Leopard. I'm assuming this will be coming as I didn't buy this printer very long ago at all.
SEL Top Student
Top Student
SEL
Message 19 of 125 (5,834 Views)

Laureld - I installed the Fax driver but then couldn't figure out how to make it fax. Can you help? What driver did you install to get the scanner working? I've been on the phone with Apple about another printer (non-HP) and the advice is that even if a printer is listed on the Apple list of printers, if the printer vendor does not have an available driver, then there is no guarantee printers will work. Let's hope HP has a solution fast as I'm ready to buy another printer (non-HP) in the next few days as I'll be limping while working from home without a printer. 
Honor Student
lpland
Message 20 of 125 (5,825 Views)

Sorry - never got as far as scanner or fax - first need is for a printer.  AFAIK, there are no drivers available right now.  I agree that HP needs to support its products  and as I said, I won't buy another HP if I need to replace my Deskjet F 4180. My thinking is that is was an HP orphan since it came with my iMac - can't remember if it was  free or really really cheap.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation