HP 6600 not printing or connected but not printing (1130 Views)
Top Student
Hebephrene
Message 1 of 5 (1,130 Views)

HP 6600 not printing or connected but not printing

I recently purchased the HP 6600. I am running OSX 10.6.8 . I have successfully set it up for wireless printing. However often I am not able to print or it takes five minutes to print a page. 

In the printer window I get that I am connected to the printer and it says it is printing but nothing happens. When I go to the printer the lights are off as if it is asleep. I just reset the eco for 10 minutes, but in the manual it says its a queque problem so I restart but this is happening all the time. I delete, then try and print and it might, but it might not. Last time five minutes elapsed before it printed the page even though I had done nothing. 

Could this be related to the eco sleep function? It's really slowing me down. Thanks, Joel

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 5 (1,123 Views)

Re: HP 6600 not printing or connected but not printing

On the front of the printer go to Setup > Schedule On and Off.  Make sure the printer is not scheduled to go off at any time.

Next, let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Finally, what router are you using?  Does the printer have a strong wifi signal?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Hebephrene
Message 3 of 5 (1,116 Views)

Provost Thanks, will follow these instructions. 

I do have a strong wi fi signal from my router. But even when I turn the printer on as I did today, I am getting "printer connected" but it isn't printing. Of course, I am saying this prior to executing your instructions. Thanks, 

Top Student
Hebephrene
Message 4 of 5 (1,112 Views)

Provost Thanks, will follow these instructions. 

I do have a strong wi fi signal from my Linksys router. I deleted all printers and then added the 6600 back in. However under settings on the printer when I go to Schedule On Off the Schedule Off option says disabled. Elsewhere there are sleep options but none that say I can turn off the sleep options, I am only given 5 or 10 or 15 minutes. I am going to presume that as per your instructions, it is the schedule on off that I need to be concerned with. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 5 (1,095 Views)

Yup, you are doing it all right.

Pretty much the last trick I know is to set a static (non-changing IP address):

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation