Question

Top Student
aa5tx
Message 1 of 7 (794 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 8500 Printer Stopped Printing

I am using Mac Book Pro with current OS software (10.6.6) to print wirelessly. The printer has stopped printing and scanning. (It has been working fine and just started acting up today. Evidently I have done something that has caused the problem but I am not sure what.)

It appears to be installed correctly. When I send a print job it appears to accept the job but only shows 1% complete then quits responding.

I have tried completely uninstalling the printer, and all HP software - including the scan software.  I did a software update from Apple and no update was found/necessary. Still no print/scan.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Bob

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (746 Views)

Re: HP 8500 Printer Stopped Printing

Let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
aa5tx
Message 3 of 7 (744 Views)

Print Doc, thanks for the info.

I have done that several times and also just now at your instruction. Here is the messages that are returned: "Printing page 1, 1% complete..."  and "Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds..."

That's where everything stops. I can get no further response.

Thanks for yor help!

Bob

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 7 (736 Views)

OK, did you ever install software from the CD and was it marked as being compatible with 10.6?

It could also be that the printer has fallen off your network - from the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.  Does it have a valid IP address (not 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x)?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
aa5tx
Message 5 of 7 (730 Views)

It's working! Thanks. Can you tell me how to get the scan function running again. That software was deleted and I am not sure where I located it. Perhaps HP website?

Thanks, Bob

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 7 (725 Views)

Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Driver" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
aa5tx
Message 7 of 7 (716 Views)

Thanks, it is up and running again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation