Question

Honor Student
Medea
Message 1 of 9 (1,000 Views)

HP Deskjet 2050 vanished in Mac OsX 10.9

My HP Deskjet 2050 either printer or scanner is not visible anymore on my mac.

I'm running OsX 10.9 system

I tried all the solution you have listed in this site for USB printers.

Then after following your suggestion to remove and add again the printer in the System Preferences --> Printer and Scan --> + / - the printer stopped to be in the list definitely.

Before of that it resulted constantly off-line no matter it was properly connected.

I tried to desconnect either usb cable and power.

Then I started again the printer that actually responded producing its normal noise but it looked like no information about its presence was recognized by the computer.

Until yesterday I was  able to print and scan document almost normally.

First signs of issues were: not having the possibility to switch between B/W and color print (there was no button link for that anymore), neither to choose paper and I remember to have had bad color prints, thinking it was an empty color charge question but on the check it was full

What to do now?

Honor Student
KevinPatrick
Message 2 of 9 (979 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 2050 vanished in Mac OsX 10.9

Same deal here, but for HP Officejet Pro 8500 (connected via USB).  I've tried restarting the printing system in OSX, after deleting the printer that was previously available (since it wouldn't print).  I also deleted the HP printer folder as was suggested elsewhere.  I've hard rebooted both printer and Mac.  No luck.

Any suggestions appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 3 of 9 (959 Views)

Hi All,

I understand that you are having issues with your printer after installing Mavericks. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue. I suggest that you start by resetting the printing system.

Resetting the Printing System in Mac
Open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Print
Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button.
If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu

Then follow the steps in this document for OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Medea
Message 4 of 9 (954 Views)

Gentle Sir/Madam

the operation you suggested it results impossible -at least to me-

because as I wrote, after removing every printer from System Pref --> Print/Scanner --> Printers,

not havin any kind of printer in the printer list, the button "-" itself doesn't exist anymore,

so I couldn't apply the option click on it.

(In bold it appears indeed the "+" button but leads to nothing -an empty list-)

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 5 of 9 (949 Views)

Hi Medea,

What happened when you followed  the steps to install the printer on a Mac with 10.9 Mavericks? Did the software updates install?

Let me know please.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Medea
Message 6 of 9 (945 Views)

Do you mean when I reinstalled the 500MB files containing the HP printers  form the apple site that was supposed to be for 10.8 system? Everything went normally - installation succefully- but going then in the printers list it resulted in having no one printer listed (even the pdf one: -anything-) 

Honor Student
Medea
Message 7 of 9 (943 Views)

I mean every operation I've made looked like "successfully", but no communication was effective between printer and computer in reality
Honor Student
KevinPatrick
Message 8 of 9 (922 Views)

Ack!  My issue was resolved when I replaced the USB cable.  :manembarrassed:

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 9 of 9 (920 Views)

Hi Medea,

I am sorry your having these issues installing your printer on Mavericks. I suggest that we check in the system profiler to see if the printer is showing. The printer needs to be connected USB and powered on.
Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner then click on 'About this Mac' then click on 'More Info' then 'System Report' then click on USB in the left hand column. You should see your printer with part or all of the serial number. If you do not then we need to eliminate which item is defective. The ports or the USB cable. I suggest starting with trying another USB cable.

Let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation