HP Deskjet F4280 won't scan on MAC OSX 10.6 (52830 Views)
Student
MacTekGuy
Message 1 of 35 (52,830 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Deskjet F4280 won't scan on MAC OSX 10.6

Just purchased a MacBook Pro 13" that came with an HP Deskjet F4280 All-In-One printer/scanner/photocopier.  The MacBook is running Snow Leopard - 10.6.  Installed the Mac OS drivers from the HP Deskjet F4200 Series CD (Version 9.6).  Everything works fine except the scanning.  I can print.  I can photocopy.  Whenever I try to scan, I get the following message...

Error.  Sorry, an unknown error occurred.  I can hear the scanner moving until the error is displayed.

I thought perhaps there might be a software update for the Mac - so I checked and downloaded the version 9.7.1 drivers from the HP website and installed them.  However, I still get the same message any time I try to initiate a scan.  The HP Scan Pro software loads (Version 7.4.5) the scanner starts to work, and then I get the error message.

I have noticed other users complaining of the same problem, but have not seen any solutions.  Is there a solution or fix to this problem.  Scanning is one thing I need to be able to do.

Student
jrodpb
Message 2 of 35 (52,802 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet F4280 won't scan on MAC OSX 10.6

I'm having the same problem.  I just uploaded my MacBook with the Snow Leopard software and I lost my capability to scan, even through I am still able to print.  I opened up Deskjet utility window and looked at the scanner settings and it seems the computer does not read it as a scanner.  I pulled out my old computer (Sony Vaio) and hooked up the printer and the scanner worked fine.  
Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 3 of 35 (52,800 Views)

Hello,

The HP Deskjet F4280 is fully supported (print and scan) with Snow Leopard using the software that's included in the OS.   The older HP software (HP Scan Pro) is not compatible with 10.6.    The good news is that you have full scan functionality from Preview and Image Capture (import from scanner)

Full instructions about how to use the in-OS software for scanning can be found from the support doc listed here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01846935&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN 

If this URL isn't active, please go to www.hp.com and type Snow Leopard in the search window.   The second support doc that shows up should be the HP Inkjet All-in-One document that explains scan and print.

If this works for you please let us know,

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) 

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Student
camper
Message 4 of 35 (52,748 Views)

what if you installed the new Snow Leopard from a DVD, found the scanner did not work and then went ahead and reinstalled Officejet for 10.5 before reading the link recommended? Neither the scan from preview application nor the print & fax option works.
Top Student
art009
Message 5 of 35 (52,583 Views)

Hey, tried all three recommend methods of scanning with Snow leopard with my C4280 all-in-one but they still do not work. uninstalled & downloaded drivers twice & still will not scan. Keep getting "Failed to open session with device" notice. Any more suggestions? Has anyone been successful?
Top Student
art009
Message 6 of 35 (52,932 Views)

Hi, Tried all but still does not work. Get the following message" Scanner Session Failed to open Session on this device.

Student
rachelorpe
Message 7 of 35 (47,530 Views)

I am having the same problem. Ever since I installed Snow Leopard my scanner won't work -  it says 'Scanner not initializing, scanner not found'.

I uninstalled all the HP software off my computer and then added the printer from System preferences/Print & Fax at which point the drivers with Snow Leopard downloaded the relevant HP software. My printer is working but the scanner is still NOT.

I also downloaded thre latest HP drivers from the Apple website in case that helped but it didn't.

I emailed HP support and they told me to uninstall and reinstall but their directions are to go through Applications/HP... but I have no HP software on there and don't see a point in uninstalling and reinstalling again when I've already tried it twice.

When I try and use Image Capture, Preview or Print & Fax (under System Preferences) it still doesn't recognise any devices for scanning.  Surely someone knows how to resolve this???

Thanks,

Rachel

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 35 (47,498 Views)

When you use Image Capture or Preview have you clicked the triangle next to the words Devices or Shared to reveal your printer?

I am employed by HP
Student
bvalasse
Message 9 of 35 (47,333 Views)

Hi, I have a similar problem, with an HP Photosmart C4180, which won´t scan, and when I try to, an error message appears, saying the scanner can't be found.

When I tried to use Preview or Image Capture, none of them recognizes the device. And in the Preview "Import from scanner" menu, I can't see any device.

Honor Student
eddiewoo
Message 10 of 35 (47,095 Views)

I also have the same problem with my C4180 printer, operating through Vista.  Was scanning perfectly normally until this morning.   I get the same error message as bvalasse.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled but with no success.  I subscribe to automatic updates and am just wondering whether a recent update may have caused this problem?  Thoughts?

(Out of interest, I can still print and copy with no problems)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation