HP Device Monitor taking up CPU (13025 Views)
Student
arlorose
Message 1 of 18 (13,025 Views)

HP Device Monitor taking up CPU

Hi,

I grabbed a CP1025nw to use for some quick prints today, and after installing the driver for it, the fans suddenly are coming on a lot more than usual on both my laptops. Turns out there's a process called "HP Device Monitor" that spikes to between 3% and 11% of the CPU every two seconds.

Why is it even there? I shouldn't need any HP software running, just the print driver.

I tried killing it but it came right back.

Any way to disable this?

Cheers,

Arlo

Student
macherb
Message 2 of 18 (12,937 Views)

Re: HP Device Monitor taking up CPU

I talked to Customer Support. The process runs to monitor all devices and the only way to disable it is to uninstall the HP software. I dropped the CPU usage from 28% to less than 5% by disconnecting the USB and running only wireless. My model printer is 8500A. I hope this helps. 

Top Student
Gaps
Message 3 of 18 (12,645 Views)

[ Edited ]

Similar experience.  8500A here too (amazing printer btw).  HP Device Monitor runs in the background eating 1-2% all the time.  Agreed, this isn't much, but on a laptop, this often makes the difference between starting the fan or not.

HP: There is no reason whatsoever to take even 0.5% cpu when idling. If you need to monitor connections, wait on device or socket events, these take 0% CPU.  The device monitor is definitely "polling" for something.  When I'm away from the printer, my laptop ends up having reduced battery time for no good reason.  Of of 93 processes running on my computer right now, over 80 of them manage to be at 0%, I'm sure HP Device Monitor could be one of them with a little effort...

Top Student
Rython
Message 4 of 18 (12,562 Views)

I have the 8500A Plus, the device monitor on my mac seems full of memory leaks, I found it running at 586 MB RAM this morning which is an outragous amount of RAM for a service to be using HP needs to sort this out quick.

Top Student
Rython
Message 5 of 18 (12,558 Views)

Just for the rest of you, I found a way to stop it running. Only do this if you know what your doing. 

the app is located in /Library/Printers/hp/hpio/   (thats library in the root on the HDD not under user) 

Create a folder called Moved, drag the two files into the folder and kill the process. This time it won't restart as it can't find it. Don't delete the files just in case. So far it seems everything runs just fine without it so I'm leaving it this way!

Top Student
davidgoehler
Message 6 of 18 (12,541 Views)

Same on my Mac: the hp device monitor tooks 33% of both CPU cores when connect via USB. After disconnecting the USB cable the CPU usage drops to 0% for the hp device monitor.

If you want to disable the automatic startup, use the freeware "Lingon" to Disable the daemon. That is the easiest way, to enable and disable background processes you can't find in the system preferences/user.

HP: this bug should be corrected very soon!

David

Honor Student
dforster
Message 7 of 18 (12,348 Views)

I agree that this needs to be fixed. Not only does it run continuously sucking up CPU cycles, but it will occasionally spin out of control to the point where it's using well over 100% CPU (according to activity monitor) and my computer (macbook pro) becomes effectively unusable (requiring a reboot). This typically happens after the computer has been sitting idle for hours. I'm at the point where if I could uninstall the software and return the computer to the store I bought it from, I would. Unfortunately it's a couple months too late for that.

Top Student
Gaps
Message 8 of 18 (12,285 Views)

I've disabled the HP Device Monitor a few weeks ago and everything has been working smooth since then.  I'm guessing the daemon is used to discover new HP devices...  So until it's fixed, here's how I disabled it:

In /Library/LaunchAgents, you'll find a file called com.hp.devicemonitor.plist

When your mac boots, there's a background process called launchd that reads these plist files and starts whatever needs to be started.

Simply move the file to /Library/LaunchAgents_Disabled (create the folder)

That way, it won't be launched and it can be moved back if it causes trouble for you...

Student
Joes_Clutter
Message 9 of 18 (12,051 Views)

I have the same issue. HP, PLEASE FIX!!

Top Student
Kevitivity
Message 10 of 18 (12,010 Views)

This HP Device Monitor clearly has a very serious memory leak.

It's also easy to disable without installing all of the HP software, as somone posted above

The phone tech support people are very nice and try to be helpful, but they are really only useful when it comes to simple problems... ie., "Where is my USB port?" or "How do I turn it on?".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation