HP LaserJet 1020 & MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4 TWO SIDED PRINTING PROBLEMS (1526 Views)
Top Student
perplexd
Message 1 of 9 (1,526 Views)

HP LaserJet 1020 & MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4 TWO SIDED PRINTING PROBLEMS

Hello to all those within the community!

Would someone please help me resolve my printing nightmare!!!? Mac and HP Technical Supports have provided absolutely no help so far.

Here's the summary of my problem:

In the past I have been able to set up the driver for my HP LaserJet 1020 for my Mac on Mountain Lion 10.8.4.  I took it a step further and downloaded HP's Two Sided Printing Package.

Everything was working great for months, until today....

When I went to print from "preview.app or word.app" I was unable to print using the PDF option of "two sided printing". The printing job simply would, and still will not transfer to the printer que....

The regular checkmark box of 'two sided printing' has always conveniently been disabled/greyed out. I'm sure many have encountered this ridiculous problem.

Someone please help me ease my troubled mind!!!!!

Cheers

Perplexd

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 9 (1,495 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1020 & MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4 TWO SIDED PRINTING PROBLEMS

Have you tried resetting the printing system and adding the printer back? To do so, use the following steps.

1. Go into “System Preferences” and then select either  “Print & Scan” or "Print & Fax".

2. Right click (or control + click) on the rectangle listing your printers and then select “Reset Printing System”.  

Just add the printer back as normal and see if that helps.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
jardiel
Message 3 of 9 (1,483 Views)

Hello there,

I am having the same problem with my HP DESKJET 970 Cse and the MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4.

Were you able to resolve the problem?  

Thanks!

Jen

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 9 (1,463 Views)

Try these steps to uninstall the current software using the HP scrubber and then reinstall using the current HP driver available through Apple. 

To do so, perform the following steps:

1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ and then click on “HP Uninstaller”
2. Next click “Continue”
3. Highlight the device on the left pane.
4. Press and hold control+alt+command on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on “Uninstall”.
5. After you do this, you will see a pop up that asks you if you want to uninstall all HP software. Please note, that in doing this, it will remove any other HP printers that you also have installed. 
6. Click “continue” and wait for the program to finish.
7. After it completes, reboot your computer. 

Once the computer is back on, do the following steps:
WARNING: This is will delete all of your printers.

1. Go into “System Preferences” and then select either  “Print & Scan” or "Print & Fax".
2. Right click (or control + click) on the rectangle listing your printers and then select “Reset Printing System”.  

After you have reset the printing system, let's make sure you have the most recent HP driver package installed. 

You can do this two ways. First,  check for any available HP Update's by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update. If there are any updates available, they should show up here. However, if the printer is connected by USB, it will not show any available updates. The other option is downloading the drivers from Apple's website. 

Once you have downloaded the driver package and completed the installation, you will want to plug your printer back in (if you were using a USB connection).  After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. If not, click "Add Printer or Scanner." Click the name of your printer and then click "Use:” box.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. If you are using the printer wirelessly, make sure that the printer "Kind:" is set to Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction. Click "Add" down in the bottom right hand corner.

This will add your printer back using the most recent HP print driver available through Apple. Let me know if this helps resolve your issue or not. If it doesn't, let me know I will see what else I can do.

Best of luck,
Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
jardiel
Message 5 of 9 (1,446 Views)

Hi Kyle

Thanks for trying to help out.

I tried your steps. The first issue was that I dont' have HP Scrubber as an option in my applications. I therefore just skipped this step and reset my printer settings to get rid of the printer.

I downloaded the driver file from the path you provided. It installed, however when went to reinstall there was no driver listed for the hp laserjet 970cse.  I took some screen shots, but I don't see an option here on this forum to attach a photo.

Anyway, I used the driver for the "hp deskjet series" and I still get the same problem. The 2-sided printing option is still greyed-out.

I can't tell you how much I regret buying a mac!  I even tried to run bootcamp to install a windows environment - but of course that was all buggy and didn't work either. 

Anyway, thanks for your help. I am not confident there will be a fix for this as it seem like all of Mac products either work - or don't work..and there isn't much one can do about it.

Best,

Jen

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 9 (1,408 Views)

After doing a little more research, it honestly looks like its just the printer showing its age. There were never any full feature drivers released for this printer since OS X 10.5. When you do not have the full feature driver and have to use a basic print driver, options such as 2-sided printer are usually not enabled. 

Sorry :smileysad:

Kyle

Signature
Top Student
perplexd
Message 7 of 9 (1,388 Views)

Hi Kyle,

I appreciate all the research you have done on this persistently annoying problem. Whenever I called into HP technical support a representatitve would try to skirt the issue and 'coincidentally" the line would get cut off. Before hanging up though, a represnetnative would say that the printer is merely too old and that he could not/did not need to offer further technical support. 

Pardon me, but I feel like this is analogous to a surgeon telling an patient that he is too old and that he will not try to help with diagnosis. Ridiculous.

Prior to the recent Mac OS X update, HP released a two-sided printing software driver/app which allowed for users to feed their laserjet printer manually to simulate duplexing. Everything was working spectacularly, until I suppose a new mac update was released and the hp driver was not updated.

Kyle, would you be so kind as to escalate this issue to those at HP? It is a persistent problem and many users are becoming increasingly frustrated. As loyal, paying customers, one would expect to be treated fairly.

Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
jardiel
Message 8 of 9 (1,383 Views)

Thanks for your post Perplexed!

I was a bit shocked to hear my printer is simply too old! It worked fine until I updated the O/S. Seems pretty bizarre to me that I should throw out a perfectly good piece of hardware because of a driver update.

Kyle, looking forward to your response.

Jennifer
Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 9 of 9 (1,381 Views)

Yes, I will escalate this issue and see if someone can shed some light on this issue. Thanks for your patience. 

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation