HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
09-09-2009 04:03 PM
09-10-2009 10:02 AM
Print only functionality for the 3050 is included with Snow Leopard. Odds are you are running into an issue due to using the upgrade path for the OS. I have done some testing on the 3050 and found that it will work and you can even get the full solution working by installing the older 10.5 solution.
1. Eliminate all the currently installed HP software by using the uninstaller located in Applications/HP LaserJet Software/HP Uninstaller
2. Unplug the USB cable from the 3050
3. Open the Print and Fax System Preference and <control> click or right click on the list of printers on the left. Select "Reset printing system...". Then click OK on the warning.
4. Reboot the Mac OS
5. Download the latest driver for the 3050 from HP.com. It is the one labeled exclusively for Mac OS 10.5. You can find it here:
6. Run the All-in-One installer. Click through any warning messages that appear. When the installer prompts for the USB cable to be connected do so. If the Mac OS asks you to locate drivers for the 3050 click yes... this will download the HP Printer Driver Update 2.0 from Apple. This is essential for reliable printing. Once the update install is complete click restart on the All-in-One installer window. The Mac OS will restart.
If you are not prompted by software update to locate new drivers you will need to manually download the update from Apple here:
7. Walk through the HP Setup Assistant.
8. The install is complete and the All-in-One should be fully functional for Scan and Print.
While the 10.5 solution is not fully supported in Mac OS 10.6 it does seem functional as per other users and some limited testing I have done.
01-05-2010 02:52 PM
I followed your recommendations, IronBadger, and it worked beautifully on my wife's Imac. But on my MacBook Pro when the HP Setup Assistant asks to select my AIO device (USB), nothing appears in the window. I have retried the process with the same result. Why won't the Setup Assistant recognize the HP Laserjet 3050? The 3050 does appear in system preferences under "Printers" with a green light, just as it does on the Imac.
03-24-2011 11:40 PM - edited 03-26-2011 01:52 AM
The Apple web site has an updated list of drivers included in System 10.6 (with Software Update also run) as of March 15, 2011. You can find it here. As you will notice, the only function currently supported for Color LaserJet 3500 is "print". The latest drivers update download appears to be that of February 23, 2011, located here.
I hope this answers your question. Good luck. Anyone else have any thoughts? - Randy
If this was helpful, please consider clicking the white Kudos star to the left.
If this provided the answer to your problem, and you were the person who started this topic,
please consider marking this message "Accepted as Solution" to help others in the future. Thanks!