Question

WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 1 of 10 (1,106 Views)

HP OfficeJet 4630 all in one, Print Driver Options?

HP Office Jet 4630 all in one printer with Mac OSX 10.7.5

Ok.  I've recently purchased this printer, and I've printed from it several times with out any issues until I tried to print an image from Adobe Photoshop CS6.  When I try to print, the colors are completely off and there are sections where there should be color and there isn't, and there are black streaks across the image.  It's all messed up.  I think it has to do with something I've set the color management too, but I'm having trouble figureing it all out.  I've set up CS6 to be in a Adobe RGB 1998 color space, as well I've assigned the image to the same.  However, When I File> Print I'm given a warring "!" and my two options are: 1) let photoshop manage colors, or 2) let the Printer Manage colors.  When I choose for photoshop to manage, the warning! says " Remember to disable the printer's color management int he print settings dialog box."  And When I choose to have Printer manage colors I get a warning!: "Remember to enable the printer's color management in the print settings dialog box."  All that is fine, however when I click onthe "Print Settings" button just about in the "Printer Setup" box, another pop-up box comes up, and I can't for the life of me find anyting within it that has to do with turning on or off the printer color management.   Can you help me find where in the print box I can choose to turn on or off the printer's color management? 

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 10 (1,052 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 4630 all in one, Print Driver Options?

Hi WLP,

I understand you are looking for information specific to color management, You may find this helpful. Click here to take a look. > ColorSync & Vendor Matching.

I hope this is helpful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 3 of 10 (1,026 Views)

Thank you for sending that link to me, However, I'm still having trouble.  When I file Print I no longer have the "ColorSync/Vender Matching" option in the dialog box.  I remember at one point in time I did, but now, I'm looking all over for it and cannot find it.  Is there some out of the way place I can locate it?  

WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 4 of 10 (1,022 Views)

Maybe these screen shots will help.  The first one shows me the warning about needing to disable the printer's color management inorder to print:  Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.14.25 PM.pngSo when I click the Print Settings box above I get this:Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.21.32 PM.pngNo where with in that dialog box can I find anyting about disableing my printer's color management, nor anything about ColorSync/ or Vender Color matching.  

I'm also finding it strange why that when I assign an image to the RGB (1998) color profile  and assign my printer profile in the Color Mangagement dialog box to the same RGB (1998) I get a message saying I must be trying to print without Color managmenting and need to download some Adobe thing to fix it.  Don't I want my image and my printer to both be on the same color profile?  Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.27.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.26.54 PM.pngDoes this make any sense to you?  

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 5 of 10 (974 Views)

Hi WLP,

After seeing what you have been describing, I suggest contacting Adobe. In your first post you mentioned that you had no issue until trying to print from Adobe Photoshop. Generally I would recommend setting the color options to Color Smart SRGB but with Photoshop the options are much more detailed.

Click here for contact information for Adobe: Adobe Contact Customer Care

I hope this is helpful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 6 of 10 (967 Views)

the first time I printed, I did not seem to have any issues.  However, Since then I can't get anything to print correctly, so I don't think it's just an adobe issue.  Also, one of the main issues i'm having is just finding the "color sycn" option in any dialog boxes after I choose to Print.  Can you help me find where that option is?  For that Matter, where is the Color Smart option?  

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 7 of 10 (964 Views)

Hi WLP, 

Here are the instructions to Change the paper type and quality settings

1. In the software program that you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.

2. Select the Paper Type/Quality or Media & Quality menu.

3. Review the following options, and then make any necessary changes.

• Paper type or Media type: If one of the options matches your paper type exactly, select that option.

• Quality: If you are dissatisfied with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality. To print more quickly, decrease the print quality.

4. In the Paper Type/Quality or Media & Quality menu, click Color Options, if it is available.

• If you want color printouts, make sure that ColorSmart/sRGB is selected.

• If the option is not available, continue to the next step.

5. Optional: To save these settings for future print jobs, follow these steps.

1. In the Presets menu, click Save As, name the new preset, and then click OK.

2. If you have multiple printers installed, open System Preferences () on the Dock, and then click Print & Scan.

3. Set the Default Printer to Last Printer Used.

If you do this in a basic preinstalled program like Safari or Text Edit and create the preset as described above, you should be able to use that preset in Photoshop.

Please let me know if this does the trick.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 8 of 10 (950 Views)

Ok, So I followed those instructions.  At first I didn't have the colorsmart SRGB option until after I saved a new preset, called "photoshop1".  Now that I have it I'm still having a lot of trouble alligning up the right options.  I've tried a ton of different options.  I'm really confusing myself.  I don't know if I should let" photoshop", or the "printer" manage the color in the "Color Managment Menu" "color handling" option; and If I choose "photoshop" to manage I don't know what "color profile" to choose for the printer in the same "color managment" menu:Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.01.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.18.26 PM.pngI still keep getting the message that I need to disable the printer driver if I choose "photoshop" to manage, and the opposite if I choose the "printer" to manage. 

So now, I go to "print settings" with "photoshop" managing and I find the "color Matching" option ( that is now for some reason available after I saved my new preset) and under it I have two greyed out options : "ColorSyn" and "Vender".  If I could choose it I would think "Vender" is what I want.  it would appear that "Color Sync" is the one that is bubbled in.  

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.08.35 PM.png Now When I go to "paper type /quality" I find that there is a littel triangle "Color" tab that give me a drop down paragraph saying that the printer color managment is disable... This is what I want right?  but for some reason even after I click save, I'm still told that I need to Disable the printer's management (see first screen shot).  Doesnt' make any since.  Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.12.38 PM.png

Ok now if I choose "printer" to manage the color I can no longer choose a "printer profile" like i could when I choose "photoshop".  I'm still warned, but this time i'm advised to turn on the "printer's managment in "print settings".  Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.21.45 PM.pngIn "print settings" I choose my  new preset, "photshop1" and then in "color Matching"  I able to now choose between "color sync" and "Vender".  at this point I don't know which one makes more sense than the other.  I've tried both and ultimately end up with green faded prints.  Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.25.37 PM.pngas you might see, When I choose "color sync" I am asked to pick a profile, but when I choose "vender" I am not.  I have no idea what profile to pick.  there are a few HP ones, and I can chooe Adobe RGB 1998 if I want.  All seem to produce the same poor results.  

From there I would the head down to the "paper type/quality" option and check on that "color" drop down menu to find out that I still have a disabed printer color manager.  It says something about chooseing "vender" and or somewhere in the application I can turn it on again.  I don't know what they mean about turning it on through the application, but Since I should choose "Vender"  I go back to "color Matching" and choose "Vender" instead of "Colorsync" and then back to "paper type/ and quality"  and now I have this "Smart color SRGB option.  Awesome!  however, if I press save and print I still get crappy greenish faded prints.   So thanks for helping find the "colorsmart SRGB, but for somereason, It doesn't change the inital statment that I need to either enable or disable my "printer's color managment"  So I don't know what do do.  I'm sorry if this is too exaustive but since I can't talk to you on the phone or have you look at my computer yourself, I figured the screen shots would be the next best thing.  Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 3.38.15 PM.png

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 9 of 10 (941 Views)

Happy New Year WLP,

I can certainly see why you would be confused. Here is some information I found specific to Photoshop and the color management choices.

In this example, you have an Adobe RGB image that you want to print from Photoshop. There are three ways of doing it.

• Select Let Photoshop determine colors in Photoshop. Select Application-Managed Colors in the printer driver. Color management is done in Photoshop. This is the recommended way.

• Select Let printer determine colors in Photoshop. Select Printer-Managed Colors and the sRGB profile in the printer driver. Photoshop converts the image from Adobe RGB to sRGB and sends it to the printer. Color management is done in the printer. Unfortunately, conversion to sRGB results in a loss of gamut, but Photoshop cannot be prevented from converting to sRGB when Let printer determine colors is selected. (This certainly contradicts my previous suggestion, but given the issue we are experiencing I think it's best to select 'Let Photoshop determine colors'.)

• Select No color management in Photoshop. Select Printer-Managed Colors and the AdobeRGB profile in the printer driver. Photoshop does not perform any conversion, there is no loss of gamut, and color management is done in the printer. However, this method will not work if you are using synchronized color management in Photoshop

Source: Color management options

I also came across a PDF with some detailed information about color management. Take a look at this and let me know if this is helpful. Advanced Color Management.

You said you have tried the different options available and each produces a poor quality print (greenish faded prints), do you experience quality issues when printing from any other program or when doing a copy ? I ask because, before we assume the quality is poor because of the software settings, it is best to test the hardware to ensure the poor quality isn't stemming from the printer itself.

Consider reviewing this document, the procedures in this document should help with streaked or faded printouts, color or black ink not printing, documents with blurred or fuzzy text, ink streaks or smears, and many other print quality problems. > HP Officejet 4630 Print Quality Problems.

I hope this does not add to the confusion. Keep me posted.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
WLP Top Student
Top Student
WLP
Message 10 of 10 (901 Views)

Thank you for your help, however,  the verbiage of the instructions you gave and what's in my dialog boxes are close but not exactly the same.  For instance.  when you refer to "Let Photoshop determine colors" do you mean  (under the "color Management" box, within the "Color Handling" drop down option) "Photoshop Manages Colors"?  Does "determine" and Manage" refer to the same thing?  Also, when you mention "Application-Managed Colors" I wonder if you are refering to the "Vender" option under the "Color Matching" options within the "Print Settings"  box.  If they are the same, I have tried those combinations, and have had poor results.   If they are not the same, then I for some reason do not  have all those options available to me that I can find  after I click File>Print.  And No matter which combination of Printer vs Photoshop color managment, I always have a warning to either turn off the printer's management, or to turn it on, and I can't find any option that allows me to do so.

I looked at that PDF and things would make sense if my options were the same as the ones they refer to, and I've noticed that the Example Screen Shots are not the same as mine look.  

In regards to hardware, I don't seem to have any problems printing from my wife's PC (Windows) lab top.  However, I can't seem to get my Mac to print things right.  Even from "Pages".   I have to have somthing set up wrong somewhere.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation