Question

Student
Frelian
Message 1 of 19 (7,783 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 -- Mac OS 10.8 -- I can't get printer set up for wireless printing

I've had this printer for a month (HP OfficeJet Pro 8600). It worked intermitently for wireless printing, but now it cannot find the printer. It tells me the printer may not exist or is not available. I've tried deleting the print queue and reloading the print driver without success.

It never gets past the Setup bullet point and I have to quit before the Summary bullet point. I have been unsuccessful in manually adding the printer by IP address or Hostname. I have good wireless signal on both my computer and the printer. The wireless setup on the printer is successful, but the computer never sees it. They share the same Subnet Mask.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 19 (7,770 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 -- Mac OS 10.8 -- I can't get printer set up for wireless printing

What router are you using?

Did you download and install this software?: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107214-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Amerth
Message 3 of 19 (7,714 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 -- Mac OS 10.8 -- I can't get printer set up for wireless printing

I have a similar problem.

When I installed my printer (Officejet 8600 Pro) last week I downloaded the latest print drivers for OS X 10.8: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107214-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I was able to see my printer and add it as a printer to my MacBook Pro. I could print to it via WiFi without a problem.

I went to print something today and my MacBook cannot see the printer - despite both the MacBook and printer being connected to the same wireless network, each with full connectivity.

I deleted the printer and tried to re-add it - having firstly downloaded and installed this as recommended on another post: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907.

However the MacBook can still not see the printer.

Can anyone help me?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 19 (7,711 Views)

I suspect that this is a (common) fault with newer OfficeJet printers - once they go to sleep, network signals are unable to wake them.

Next time the printer is unresponsive like this, turn the printer off then back on.  If printing  proceeds then that is the fault.

This also may be an issue with the router being unable to wake the printer.  What router are you using?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Amerth
Message 5 of 19 (7,684 Views)

One of the first things I did when I couldn't connect was to turn the printer off then on. I also tried taking the power supply out of the back and putting it back in - then turning it on again. Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference - my Mac still can't see the printer despite the printer saying that it is connected to WiFi with good signal strength.

I have also tried connecting to the printer via iPad (which had previosuly printed to it succesfully) and a Windows 7 laptop. None of the devices can see the printer anymore.

Any ideas?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 19 (7,669 Views)

What router?

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Amerth
Message 7 of 19 (7,646 Views)

I have already installed:  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907 and restarted my Mac and it has had no effect at all. I still can't see my printer from my Mac, iPad and Windows 7 laptop - despite the printer saying it is fully connected to the wireless network.

My router is a Huawei EchoLife HG521. Hardware version C.1.01. Firmware version v1.02

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 19 (7,642 Views)

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Amerth
Message 9 of 19 (7,640 Views)

After my last post I tried setting up an old Netwear router that I had - when I added the printer to the new network I could see it from my MacBook and can now print to it wirelessly.

However when I first set up the printer with the Huawei router everything worked fine for the first few days before I suddenly couldn't connect to it - so I'll monitor the connectivity over the next few days and see if it holds up.

Thanks for your help.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 19 (7,639 Views)

That does not surprise me.  Off-brand routers often do not follow wifi standards and present problems to devices like printers that need to stay available to other network devices at all times.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation