Question

Honor Student
HPFrustration01
Message 1 of 11 (5,324 Views)

HP Officejet 6600 - Does Not Print

My iMac is 10.6.8

I've had the HP OfficeJet 6600 for about 6 months, and have printed maybe 100 sheets of paper on it.  The last 2 months it has been increasingly slow in beginning to print.  Today, it won't do it at all.

All ink cartridges are above 80% (3 of the 4 are full), and the printer shows up on the wireless connection on my computer, and the computer is reading all the print levels/printer info.

When printing, the dialogue box says that the document is printing, but nothing happens with the printer.  I've waited 10 minutes on several attempts and nothing happens.

I've followed each troubleshooting step here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02205477&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Nothing is working.

Thanks for any help.

Honor Student
HPFrustration01
Message 2 of 11 (5,305 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6600 - Does Not Print

Can anyone help me get the printer to print?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 3 of 11 (5,292 Views)

Hi,

is the printer connected through the network or with USB?

For network connection, try rebooting the router and then check for any change.

For USB ensure the cable directly connected to the Mac and not through any USB hub, extention or through the keyboard if you have an iMac, as well make sure the cable is not longer than 2m long.

If the same perists, try resetting the printing system:

*Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
Select Print & Fax.
Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system .
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type your user Name and Password .
Click OK . The printing system resets.

Next click the plus sign, try adding the printer again and check for any change.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
HPFrustration01
Message 4 of 11 (5,282 Views)

ShlomiL,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm connected wirelessly, rebooted the router as suggested, and was unable to print.

I reset the printing system, and added the printer back, but was unable to print.

I also did both of the above and restarted my computer each time; no printing.

I connected the printer to the computer via USB cable, and after several minutes of the printer making all sorts of noises, I got it to print.

Unfortunately, wireless printing does not work. (I disconnected the cable and tried again).  Any ideas on what the wireless problem might be?  

Thanks & Happy New Year

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 5 of 11 (5,280 Views)

Hi,

While the printer connected to your network, can you see the pritner listed as Bonjour or not?

Try adding the printer by IP and check if that may make any difference:

1. Under Print & Scan click the plus sign.
  2. Click the IP tab.
  3. Select the HP jetdirect Socket protocol.
  4. Type the pritner IP address into the address field.
    You may locate the IP by clicking the wireless icon on the printer.

Now try printing using the newly created print queue.

Additionally, please let me know your router brand and model in order to better understand what may cause the problem.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
HPFrustration01
Message 6 of 11 (5,278 Views)

Adding printer by IP did the trick.  Thank you very much!

I now have three printers in my list: the IP, the USB disconnected, and the old wireless (which I think is the Bonjour one).  I'll stick with the IP.

Thanks for your help!

Honor Student
tcorabi
Message 7 of 11 (4,797 Views)

[ Edited ]

After over an hour of troubleshooting, Adding directly via ip address finally did the trick. I know how to do it, it was an option right in front of my face and I didn't think of it. Thank you for being so knowledgeable on the subject

Student
pskye67
Message 8 of 11 (4,731 Views)

Where would one go to find this option? My printer isn't printing and I would like to try to add the IP addres...

Honor Student
tcorabi
Message 9 of 11 (4,726 Views)

Printer front touch screen. click settings, click ip address. copy down

On mac open settings
Add printer
Click tab for ip (not looking at screen...forget what it actually says)
Enter op address

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 10 of 11 (4,540 Views)

Hello HPfrustation01,

Thanks for the post.  Check the link below for the some additional t-shooting steps and directions on how to setup a static IP.  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03742109&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5304873&tmp...

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation