Question

Honor Student
designer2
Message 1 of 160 (13,108 Views)

HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion

Will the printer still work with the new MAC OS Lion?  If not will HP provide a driver to download or is there another solution rather than abandon a perfectly good printer?

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 2 of 160 (13,045 Views)

Re: HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion

Yes  - this printer is supported with Lion - if drivers currently installed in 10.6, after Lion upgrade you'll still have full functionality.   

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Retired
SedonaF
Message 4 of 160 (2,788 Views)
Top Student
Doubleslash
Message 3 of 160 (12,996 Views)

Unfortunately die Network Scan Archiving option is gone with OS X Lion. No matter what I do the OfficeJet will not connect to my SMB/Windows File Share on the Mac anymore. This worked perfectly under Snow Leopard. Other computers (Windows, Linux) can access the file share on my Mac without problems. But the OfficeJet not.

This is very frustrating for me as I resided heavily on this functionality for my personal document management and for home office purposes.

Please fix this :smileysad:

Tutor
sboydman
Message 5 of 160 (12,967 Views)

After my upgrade from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Lion, printing is okay, but scanning functions freeze at a gray screen, and do not progress to the full scan dialog box.

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 6 of 160 (12,966 Views)

Hello,

are you trying to scan from  the 'HP Scan' application or using Preview (import scan) ?

is the printer connected wirelessly or via cable ?    

if you have not done so yet,  launch Software Updates from under the OS X apple menu and check if an HP driver update is available.   If yes, download it.    This may provide updated driver and scan update for the ImageCapture / Preview scan flow

hope this helps,

I am an HP employee
Student
pppritc
Message 7 of 160 (12,820 Views)

I am having exactly the same issue.  Since upgrading to Lion (and having downloaded the HP update for Lion) I can no longer use the digial filing function.  I've tried to set it up again, but I consistently get the error message "Network connection error  - check network and try again".  It still works perfectly on my Snow Leopard operating system on another Mac.  I've spent hours trying to fix it and have now come to the conclusion its HP not me!  It still prints etc with Lion but just wont let me use Digital Filing.  HELP!!!

Top Student
NikJones
Message 8 of 160 (12,653 Views)

Same problem here. Since upgrading to Lion, the scan to network folder option doesn't work.

Any news HP ?

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 9 of 160 (12,643 Views)

Hello,

this issue is under investigation - will report back to this forum asap when there is more information available

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
Meadeiator
Message 10 of 160 (12,561 Views)

I am neither an Apple of HP employee, but I'm geeky enough to have spent enough time troubleshooting and exploring this to have the following hypothesis.

WIth OS X Lion, Apple has upgraded its internal file protocol (AFP) to version 3.3.  In order for outside devices to interact with this protocol and successfully read/write with OS X, the devices must support communicating through Netatalk 2.2.  Given that 2.2 was released after what I can tell as being the most recent firmware update for the HP 8500, in all likelihood it does not support it.

This problem is not unique to HP, as other vendors, primarily drive manufacturers such as WD and others, are also facing this issue.

The only solution is for the manufacturer to upgrade its firmware.  So, it's entirely up to HP.

For what its worth, HP still actively markets and sells this device through the Apple store so one would hope that HP would see the value of providing a firmware update as the devices are DOA today with respects to saving directly to an Apple computer using the Save to Network Folder option.  (Note:  Although it is not ideal, you can still save to a USB drive hanging off of a Time Capsule.)

If this is discussion is actually monitored by an HP employee, hopefully this helps.  Whether my hypothesis is correct or not is of little concern to me.  Saving to my MBP like the good old days is, however.  :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation