Question
HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion
Replies (159)

Intern
LDMartin1959
Message 151 of 160 (645 Views)

Re: HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion

But it stll doesn't work with the a909's.

Honor Student
RWDesigner
Message 152 of 160 (623 Views)

[ Edited ]

Device: Office jet Pro 8500 A909g

Firmware: DLM1FN1006BR

Mac OS X 10.8.x

Issue: From the printer "Scan to Network Folder" feature still doesn't work.

Notes from my tech support on-site call:

Setup network scan folder share on iMac - located on desktop as "Scans"

-via Printer's web interface configuration: entered settings for network scan
-failed to connect to folder \\IMAC-86B630\Scans

-researched - result: update printer firmware
-downloaded HP firmware updater
-wouldn't connect/find printer via ip or device name

-installed printer driver/software on my computer (Win7)
-updated printer firmware from DLM1FN0924AR to DLM1FN1006BR
-attempted to setup scan folder again via printer's web interface (to Mac)
--"Network connection error. Check network and try again."
-tried setting it up via chrome and safari and internet explorer
--same issue - printer fails to connect to the Mac's Share folder

Printer connects wirelessly.

Can print wirelessly from any device OK.

No other issues, the printer just can't connect to OS X's shared folder.

Other computers can connect to the iMac's Share folder OK.

I even attempted to disable OS X's file sharinig feature and install Samba (to try to re-create the same SMB share environment that 10.6 and before featured), but that failed.

Is there a solution? Where is the solution?

Intern
LDMartin1959
Message 153 of 160 (610 Views)

Is there a solution? No. HP barely acknowledges the issue, refuses to address the issue. In short, on a corporate level it seems their attitude toward owners of their products is, "We've already gotten their money so what use are they to us now and why spend money fixing the problem?."
Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 154 of 160 (595 Views)

I would recommend that you download the driver through Apple Software Update. 

Before we do that, we want to uninstall any incompatible software you may have installed on your computer by running the HP Uninstaller located under Applications > HP or the Hewlett-Packard folder.

After you do that, we will want to download the drivers. The drivers for your product are available through Apple Software Update.

Before you do anything, temporarily unplug the printer's USB cord from either the printer or the computer. Next, check for any available HP Update's by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update.

If any update could not be retrieved, download the full HP Printer Drivers v.2.14 from Apple:

Once you have completed the installation you will want to plug your printer back in. After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. Select it. If underneath the printer you see "Use:”.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. Click Add down in the bottom right hand corner.

Best of luck,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Intern
LDMartin1959
Message 155 of 160 (586 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kyle, not to put too fine a point on it but it is obvious you haven't read this thread. We 909-series owners have done all these things and more. The 909 series simply will not scan to network location on OS X Lion and HP has done nothing to correct this issue. Simply regurgitating the same old tired and useless instructions that have nothing to do with the issue (it is a firmware issue) is a waste of your time, a waste if customers time and only serves to make us more upset. If you want to provide truly useful information you could tell us if we are ever gonna see a firmware update to for the 909 series or not.

Honor Student
RWDesigner
Message 156 of 160 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, I am going to one-up the troubleshooting steps that were so lovingly copy-pasted to page 16.

I am going to take a MacBook that has been freshly installed with 10.8, and fully updated, to my client's house.

After correctly installing the drivers via Apple Software Update, and the printer fails to SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER, what advice will you offer next?

Let's go ahead and skip to that.

Honor Student
RWDesigner
Message 157 of 160 (562 Views)

Once you have completed the installation you will want to plug your printer back in. After the printer is plugged back in, go into your print settings under System Preferences > Print & Scan. To add the printer, click the plus sign. You should see your printer listed here. Select it. If underneath the printer you see "Use:”.  Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint. Click Add down in the bottom right hand corner.

Best of luck,

Kyle

I would just like to make note that in your response, Kyle, your closing line advises me to "PLUG YOUR PRINTER BACK IN" and then you proceed to instruct how to add the printer as a new printer.

When it is attached.

As a USB attached printer.

We are trying to SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER.

Not SCAN FROM USB ATTACHED PRINTER.

C'mon. Read the thread you're posting in.

Intern
LDMartin1959
Message 158 of 160 (556 Views)

[ Edited ]
Kyle_W wrote:
Make sure that says the name of your printer and not AirPrint.

RWDesigner: I would also say that Kyle is assuming the 910 series (which would register as an AirPrint device) and not the 909 (which is not AirPrint compatible). To say that he clearly hasn't bothered to read this thread would be generous. Sadly, this is the same poor quality support we 909 owners have been getting from HP. Well, that or dead silence.

Needless to say, there are many Mac people around here who will not buy HP printing products again.

Student
undecidedHPuser
Message 159 of 160 (259 Views)

I have the 8600 series. Hello After MANY hours spent installing and uninstalling this printer software still no success with the scan to computer function the function did work at one point and now I have the correct software installed and no luck. I cannot setup the scan to shared network folder because apperently that is impossible to do with OS X 10.8 

Now I am left with a wireless printer with all of the most up to date software and firmware that does not do its wireless 'jobs'. SOOOO frustrated because I like the features of this printer they are ideal for running a small business and also for personal use. It is not preferable to have to go to the printer put the paper in go back to where the computer  is(SCAN) and then back to the printer to retrieve your docs once again. (Hello I love modern technology... That doesnt work) 

We have been struggling with connection issues when I reinstall the software sometimes the printer randomly finds its own wrong ip address I have to reset my whole router system and then start fresh uninstalling and reinstalling so that we can finally run the printer off of the correct ip address... we will see how many days this works for until it finally decides to run off of the wrong IP!

This printer has become a sick obsession because I just want it to do what it is suppose to do!!!!!!! It is FREAKING 3 months old. 

Might I add I have had HP techs go into my computer and reconfigure everything about 6-7 times. They uninstall and reinstall and try to talk you out of the refund that you so much deserve. Buyers be ware that when you purchase a printer and you unpack it you will be stuck with it and the lovely 1-800 number that it comes with as well as the people on the phone who 'understand your frustration' but cannot HELP you. Your SCREWED! 

Student
momandmore0120
Message 160 of 160 (215 Views)

I have not been able to set up the scan to network folder either.  I was successful setting up the scan to email and then I can save to the network folder from there.  Please let me know if HP or Apple addresses this problem!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation