Question
HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion
Replies (159)

Honor Student
hanske
Message 21 of 160 (5,417 Views)

Re: HP Officejet PRO 8500 Wireless + Mac OS Lion

I have very good reasons to believe the problem is indeed in HP's SMB implementation vs. the SMB implementation of Lion. And thus the problem is with ALL HP's scanning to network. We here have exactly the same problem with a 7780 PRO AIO that was (and is) functionng flawlessly with all machines (mac, pc) except with Mac's upgraded to Lion. The HP AIO simply doen't connect to the share. 

If you take a quick look on Apple forums you can see that there are more problems experienced with Apple's SMB implementation.

Tutor
boecherer
Message 22 of 160 (5,373 Views)

I found a workaround that works for me and MIGHT for some others.  IF you have a NAS device (I use a D-Link DNS-323/321) and it uses standard shares that the HP OJ 8500 understands.  I just pointed my network folder scanning to the NAS and it will save there of course.

Getting the files to the Mac will be a task, but I can just leave the scans on the NAS and make a shortcut to the folder.

I've heard that some NAS's have problems with Lion too, but so far mine has been working OK with Lion.

If you don't have a NAS, you can add one for pretty cheap for about $90 and put in a $40 SATA hard drive or a pair if you want to mirror them.

Maybe there's a way to do this if you have a Time Capsule or add a hard drive off an Air Port Extreme, but I haven't tried this yet.

VDM Student
Student
VDM
Message 23 of 160 (5,266 Views)

HI

So, still no solution to Print to Network yet?

HP and Apple so big shots - guys why to leave users struggling for answers...

Do help, paid money for it, and I want it working :smileyhappy:

Student
MickySheehan
Message 24 of 160 (4,981 Views)

Have just noticed that after my upgrade Printing to the printer is soooo slow - like 30 secs a page - I have deleted the printer and then clicked on the plus sign to read it as a near by printer - 

N E One else having simular issues ?

Honor Student
TorMike1955
Message 25 of 160 (4,933 Views)

I to upgraded from Snow Leopard to LIon and what a mess.

My OfficeJet Pro 8500a Plus printer option worked but scanning failed.

I uninstalled the old drivers and, from System Preferences, selected 'Print & Scan' and installed the 'new' driver from Mac.

Printer works fine.... Scanner fails ever time with 'Failed to open a session on the devise'.  Installed VueScan, works perfectly.

I guess that the scan problems relates to all the messages I've been reading on this topic.  

So, is it a HP firmware problem or Apple Sotware problem????

Tutor
boecherer
Message 26 of 160 (4,908 Views)

Kind of ironic that Apple helped to put HP out of the PC business and yet we need HP to fix their products to work wth Apple.  We haven't heard what's going to happen with HP's printer division yet.  Perhaps Apple should buy the printing division and finx the drivers since they have the cash and are part of the problem.

Honor Student
TorMike1955
Message 27 of 160 (4,889 Views)

Since my printer is so new I'm eligible for HP Support to look into the problem.  I've got a service number and they promise to look into the problem and get back to me.

We'll see.

Intern
LaszloG
Message 28 of 160 (4,860 Views)

It is truely amazing that HP did not know about Lion and was prepared for this. Maybe they were busy with the Touchpad launch? How'd that go guys???  

You would  think that if HP value their business clients, they would  have had the ancilary software ready to go day one. It' great that you have drivers ready, but my users don't want to hae to use image capture to scan software in, and then run the OCr on the file created, C'mon HP get on the ball.bI'm already starting  to look at the Canon line of Pixma printers to start replacing the HPs' if it's not fixed soon.

Student
AJ67
Message 29 of 160 (4,739 Views)

Found this one, hope it will help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl907

Honor Student
hanske
Message 30 of 160 (4,734 Views)

No, these drivers solve the problem that AIO's will not fax.

They don't solve the SMB problems, specially not the digital archive problem.

For this HP has to com with new firmware. Now there is kinda "be patient, we're testing" message on the page of involved printers. Didn't they get LIon together with other developers ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation