Question

Honor Student
PoppyBuxom
Message 1 of 26 (37,597 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-one won't scan

Although my printer works fine for printing and copying, I get error messages when I try to scan by pushing the button or by using the relevant HP software

I'm using the HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-one with a MacBook running OSX 10.5.7

I'm connecting to the printer with a USB cable and have used both USB ports to make sure it's not a wonky port.

When I push the scan button on the printer, HPScan boots up, then an error message appears: The HP Communications Application is not running.
When I run ScanPro the following error message appears: Sorry, the scanner could not be initialized.

I've already downloaded and installed the latest printer driver .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My latest project is being held up while I try to get the scanner to run.
Bro Honor Student
Honor Student
Bro
Message 2 of 26 (37,297 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-one won't scan

I am having the exact same problem.  Did you figure out what to do?
Honor Student
PoppyBuxom
Message 3 of 26 (37,285 Views)

Nope!

I'm afraid HP is being pretty douchey about this.

I went through all the steps necessary to post this inquiry. I hewed carefully to all the requirements listed in the pinned "how to get an answer to your inquiry" post. But they're completely ignoring my question.

I guess HP wants me to stop buying their products.

Master's Graduate
WendyM
Message 4 of 26 (37,278 Views)

Hi PoppyBuxom,

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response but these are user-to-user support forums, and not a place to receive direct help from HP. The members who answer questions here are volunteers and do so on their own time. If you want an answer from HP you'll need to contact them directly:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Thanks! 

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 26 (37,277 Views)

Did you install this software?  If so, try removing and reinstalling the printer through System Preferences, Print & Fax.  (remove it then re-install it).

Check back in and let me know how it went! 

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
burtonjx
Message 6 of 26 (30,379 Views)

My printer will copy and print but will not scan. I get a message stating not connected to USB port.  I have tried both ports on my lab top.  What should I do?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 26 (30,372 Views)

If you are using Snow Leopard and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, download and install the "Full Featured" Driver and Software from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Student
ronhartman1
Message 8 of 26 (25,523 Views)

My Photosmart all in one printer model c4280 will not scan. I get the errorr message- sorry scanner could not be intiliazed. How do I fix this  problem? The copy and print functionswork ok.

Student
Xdbit90
Message 9 of 26 (25,412 Views)

[ Edited ]

what i'm saying is NO JOKE!!!

I just bought a HP All-in-one Photosmart C4680 which didn't include a usb cable ,so i bought one and that caused  really trouble.printer was working just fine and i made a couple of copies (both type of Greyscale&Colorful)even scanned  to a memory card.

I checked these forums which was really confusing and no one had found a solution,i updated drivers and downloaded critical updates from hp.com but it didn't work and just A Message shown:

"An error occured while communicating to hp imaging device ,try these steps:............"

(these steps were really the most stupid steps that i've ever seen.)

device manager was fine and without any error.

but i changed my usb cable and amazingly it started to work.

NOW, it scans without any problem into paint,windows fax  and scanner,adobe and although hp scanning.

i hope it helps all of U.

Honor Student
Callmeval
Message 10 of 26 (24,806 Views)

I am experiencing the same problem.  I followed the scrubber instructions and reinstalled and still I can't scan.  Suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation