Question

Top Student
austinpassaro
Message 1 of 14 (4,071 Views)

HP Photosmart C4780 Won't Print in USB Mode ('Idle' Forever)

I just recently got a new MacBook pro (OS X 10.6.4) and got a new HP Photosmart C4780 with it. When I installed it with the USB connection, it worked and printed off my alignment page and everything, but my wireless network wasn't set up yet, so I skipped that step. Once I got it installed and tried to print with it, it worked a few times, but then stopped. Now, it says it is connected and everything and when I try to print, it sends the job to the queue and feeds in the paper, then stops and says the printer status is 'Idle' and the power light just flashes. This never goes away and the document never prints. I scrubbed clean the HP software and used software update to download the drivers and re-add the printer, and still nothing works. When I try to print a test page, it says File Transferred and then never prints or anything. Any ideas?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (4,043 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4780 Won't Print in USB Mode ('Idle' Forever)

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
austinpassaro
Message 3 of 14 (4,025 Views)

I'm living in a dorm at Virginia Tech with a Netgear N-3000 router set up with WPA security. I don't actually know the ISP, it's just the Virginia Tech network. When I try to set it up wirelessly, I get to the page where you select a network and it finds it, but when i select it and click continue it says 'Device not connected' and tells me to plug it in by USB, even though it is already plugged in. My sister downstairs has hers set up the same way and it works perfectly.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (4,011 Views)

OK, here are a couple of ideas:

1. Update the firmware on your router.  Access the router via a browser (192.168.1.1) and enter 'admin' for the login and 'password' for the password.  It will automatically go look for a firmware update.

2. Make sure the router is operating in both 802.11n and 802.11g modes.

3. Change the 802.11g channel to 11.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
austinpassaro
Message 5 of 14 (4,008 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, but still nothing. I'd be fine without wireless for now though if it at least printed when connected by USB, but even when it starts printing a test page it feeds the paper in then just blinks and says it's Idle. Any ideas about that?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 14 (4,003 Views)

Let's pick on your Mac for a while.

You loaded the HP software from the printer CD, right?  Did you remove it with the scrubber option (hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall)?  Did you restart after that and then download the new software from hp.com?

You may want to try that whole process again.

Also, print a Wireless Network Test from the control panel of the printer (Setup [Scan]] > Network menu).  It will self-test the printer and let you know if there are any internal problems.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
austinpassaro
Message 7 of 14 (3,992 Views)

I removed it with the scrubber option and reinstalled it with the new software from hp.com and it found it originally wirelessly, but then when it got to actually setting it up and asked me to plug in the USB, it said it was not connected again and is back to blinking and being idle when I try to print anything, including a test page, wireless network test, and Word document.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 14 (3,987 Views)

OK, let's try a different approach.  Let's use WPS to connect the printer to your router.  Go to Setup > Network > Start WPS on the control panel of the printer (the wording may be slightly different on your printer's screen).  Within two minutes, press the WPS button on the back of your router.

Give it a minute and the printer should connect to the router.  Then run the HP software again and it should see that the printer is on the network and you will not have to insert the USB cable.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
austinpassaro
Message 9 of 14 (3,971 Views)

When I try the WPS, it just tries to connect for a few minutes and then times out and freezes until I unplug it. When trying to print a Network Test, it still feeds the paper in then stops and blinks until I cancel it. No luck with any of it.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 14 (3,946 Views)

OK, there is a firmware update for this printer, however it is for a different set of symptoms.  It may be worth a try.

Here is the firmware update.  Unfortunately, the loader is for Windows only so you may need some help....

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation