Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Photosmart Plus B209A

MAC

No error messages however when trying to align or check colors - black does not print at all 

No changes - knew ink was low so tried installing a new black ink cartridge - then a day later tried another new black ink cartridge

I've tried all the 'troubleshooting' techniques listed on the webpage - aligning, cleaning the printheads, installing new cartridges, checking for trouble with the vents, etc.  I've only used HP ink cartridges.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi abruce,

Usually this is a result of dried/clogged ink nozzles in the printer or the printhead.

According to some other users on the forums you can remove the printhead (use this guide if you are not sure how: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01944580)

Make sure the cartridges are removed from the printhead

Submerge the printhead in hot water, nozzles down. (about 1" of water) and let any ink residue drain out. This process should take about 15 minutes. Ensure that the printhead is fully dried and there is no moisture on the electrical contacts or the rest of the part.

Hope this helps!

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi abruce,

Usually this is a result of dried/clogged ink nozzles in the printer or the printhead.

According to some other users on the forums you can remove the printhead (use this guide if you are not sure how: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01944580)

Make sure the cartridges are removed from the printhead

Submerge the printhead in hot water, nozzles down. (about 1" of water) and let any ink residue drain out. This process should take about 15 minutes. Ensure that the printhead is fully dried and there is no moisture on the electrical contacts or the rest of the part.

Hope this helps!

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you VERY much!!!  I did not end up soaking the printhead but instead looked at the link you attached and followed the instructions for more detailed cleaning using coffee filters and bottled water.  I was skeptical but it WORKED!  My printer is once again printing black ink and I'm a happy customer!  🙂

Of course my husband stopped and bought a new printer on his way home so now time to decide if we keep the new one or take it back.  😉  Not a bad problem though!
Thanks again,

abruce 

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it worked for you! If you wouldn't mind marking the post as a solution in case anyone else is experiencing the issue they can find this conversation useful. :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

I put in a new cartridge, I cleaned the print heads, I took out the print nozzle assembly and soaked it and cleaned it, I cleaned the contact points in the body of the printer, I cleaned out the well next to the sponge on the right side of the printer. Each time I took out the print nozzle assembly I had to restart the printer and clean the print heads again. It is still not printing black.

The only advice I could find I didn't try was to carefully undo all the connections and throw it out a third story window. I was hoping there was something else to try before I try that one.

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure it out?

HP Recommended
Did you ever figure it out? I am having the same problem!
HP Recommended

I'm new at this.  I had the same problem with my black ink not printing on a B209a and went thru all the cleaning procedures without success.  So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer program from an included CD.  During the installation procedure, a 4x6 test print was made that looked perfect.  So, I printed a 4x6 test print of my own.  Perfect!.  Problem solved?  NO!  When I printed the test print at 8.5x11 and got no black.  So, in is not the black cartridge or the contacts, but something screwed up in the printer innards.  I'm about ready to junk it unless someone can come up with a suggestion on what else to try.  Thanks, Tidge

HP Recommended

If tried all the online suggestions. When through the removal process and cleaning, very carefully. Made sure all was dry. Reinstall print head and cartridges, reloaded paper. No help. Even replaced the almost new black cartridge with a brand new one.Turned off unpluged, replugged in turned back on. Almost seemed like it was going to work! Now getting an 'Ink System Falure' message Oxc19a0013. Suggestions?

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!! I first tried following the instructions on the link for removing the printhead cartridge (wiping it with a coffee filter & bottled water). That didn't work, so I soaked the printhead in hot water a couple of times, dried it with a coffee fileter and then set it in front of a fan until I was sure it was completely dry.  Reinstalled everything and it works great!!!

I was ready to throw it away but soaking it really worked!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.